Keeping spool (with SMB attached) from unwinding underwater

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sorry dude I have to call you out on that one. Better to either side gently in case something takes the spool it will slip from your hands. Sticking you finger in is a recipe for getting it broken or being dragged to the surface by it..

Indeed! My SMB was taken by a fast boat once while I was at 120ft. Luckily I don't use the finger-in-spool technique.

I had a spool entangle with a big DSMB on it on a night dive. Did the same thing ripped it right put of my hand. Lucky I let go...

First of all, get a new spool. It's SO much easier to deploy if you can stick one finger through the spool as it unwinds.

Use the clip to hook the string loop or d-ring, wind it tight, and fasten the clip into one of the spool's outer holes. That's why those holes are there. If you should be secure if you can put it in a pocket. Use a bungie cord or surgical tubing to bundle it up around the sausage if you don't have a pocket.
unless you're diving someplace where you're using mitts or gloves - then sticking your finger in is hard to impossible.

In addition, unwind all of the line from your spool and make sure that the line is tied in a loop around the core of the spool. Then, when you accidently drop the spool, which of course will happen when you are on a wall dive, the spool will completely unwind but it will still be attached to your line.

In addition, unwind all of the line from your spool and make sure that the line is tied in a loop around the core of the spool. Then, when you accidently drop the spool, which of course will happen when you are on a wall dive, the spool will completely unwind but it will still be attached to your line.

I’ve dropped it to the bottom of the deep side of the quarry before and all the line unwound. It’s attached well to the core.

unless you're diving someplace where you're using mitts or gloves - then sticking your finger in is hard to impossible.

I always dive with at least 3mm gloves. The OMS spools work very well. You can slow and speed up deployment just by the amount of pressure you put in the center of the spool.

I always dive with at least 3mm gloves. The OMS spools work very well. You can slow and speed up deployment just by the amount of pressure you put in the center of the spool.
I dive with drygloves. my finger isn't going in that hole.

Do you have issues while using the standard through-loop clip-off method? I just make sure it is tight and I have yet to have it misbehave.

Do you have issues while using the standard through-loop clip-off method? I just make sure it is tight and I have yet to have it misbehave.

Yes, that’s why I was asking.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom