Keeping Sharks at a comfortable distance!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi, Buff!

Last time I saw you, you were in a dry suit suffering the tough duty of diving a wonderful reef....

If you really want to get close to some sharks, haul yourself (and your better half) over to the Bahamas. On New Providence there are several shops that offer shark dives. Walker's Cay is another outfit that offers such dives in a package that includes lodging, etc.

If you do one or more of those, you will see enough sharks to keep you happy for a long time.

Then there is Maui--down about 80-130' around the Molokini Crater there a lots of White Tips. If you go with Ed Robinson and request that dive, I almost guarantee you that you will see 6-10 of the beauties.

On the other hand, Iguana Don is always looking for some kind of lark--why not see if he is willing to do the "Great Laceration" experiment.

Oh, a place that is a little more difficult to get to than the Bahamas or Maui: COCOS ISLAND off Costa Rica. A day and a half boat ride, a live-aboard, and muchos tiburones (many sharks) including tiburones martillos (hammerheads). But, I'll vote for the Iguana Don experiment--I hear that sharks love iguana meat.

Joewr

Buff,

Joewr is right about the sharks in the Bahamas. I dived with Stuart Cove's last year and saw more sharks than National Geographic!! They are a very inspiring sight and the initial concerns I had disappeared in seconds. Only warning is to be very careful with the Giant's stride off the boat. I was very close to standing on a reef shark!!!

Enjoy

DiverDave

I would not worry about the electronic device. If you see a shark, enjoy it. If he plans on bitting you, you most likely will never see it coming anyway.:tease:

Hello,

Poor mans shark pod. Car battery with 2 bare wire jumper cables and clamp 'em together while the shark approaches.

WARNING: we are not responsible for any outcome of doing this :wink:

hehehe

Ed

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom