Keeping Sharks at a comfortable distance!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jhoward1

Reaction score
I have recently seen on a diving documentary the testing of a new electronic shark repeller! Basically at the push of a button an electronic feild is produced which does NOT harm the shark, but deters it from approaching! Does anybody know where I can get this piece of kit??

Justin,

Why?
It is EXTREMELY rare that a shark will bother a diver.

Brad

Justin,

First, welcome to the board. I am assuming that you are a relatively new diver because most divers actually look forward to seeing them, pardon me if I am incorrect. Sharks are fairly shy around divers and to get them to come close they usally have to be baited in. An exception are areas where sharks are fed by humans to get them to come close and even there it has been my experience that they will come within sight and if they don't detect any food they leave. I also know of one wreck where sand tiger sharks routinely hang out in large numbers. Divers routinely go to this wreck to observe them and they never bother the divers. I look forward to seeing them and when I do they are turning away and leaving the area. Just don't do any activity that qualifies as feeding like spear fishing and I suspect you will almost never see a shark and if you do, just leave it alone, it will leave you alone as well. Let's face it, sharks work on millions of years of programming and divers don't look, smell or sound anything like what they are programmed to eat. Don't worry about sharks and enjoy the experience if a shark sees fit to show himself to you.

Another thing is that from all of the sharks existing only couple of them are know to be agresive towards people. As was stated before to see a shark close to you is rare and the feeling you get is impossible to replace.
I am not so confident about the electronic filed. it might have the opposite effect. The animal body, as well as the human body is not a machine but something very individual, every shark is different from the others you don't know what can happen.
I think that standar procedure is safest one.

Some people like to see a shark up close and personal. For me that's not a good thing. If I'm in salt water that means I am spearfishing, which in turn means I have some dinner on a stringer. I would suggest getting a powerhead, for the really aggressive sharks. I know a couple of guys that have recently started carrying a powerhead when they dive. I've noticed an increase in the aggressiveness of sharks here along the Gulf Coast of Florida. I don't agree with hitting a skark just to see it go limp, BUT if it's him or me, SORRY shark lovers, the thing has to die. And never offer your stringer of fish to a shark. Get them to the boat as quick as possible. Don't want to start a feeding freenzy. I'm sure there is someone who will disagree with me on that though.

Well, as usual, Warhammer the Inquisitive beat me to the punch with the POD! But note the price tag: $500.00! I have not read about too many scuba divers being attacked by sharks--mostly swimmers and surfers. I have heard all the theories, but have never inteviewed a shark.

The one thing most agree on is that if you are spearfishing, you are at higher risk of getting "sniffed" by a shark. So, I tend not to hang around spearfishers! I have been on lots of dives with sharks and have been close enough to have been bumped: and I still have all appendages in working order! So, I not sure why one would need a POD for ordinary diving...

The POD does work, though. Sharks have very sensative electrical field detectors--little sensors all around the snout area--and that is their main method of detecting prey. Nurse sharks can detect fish below the surface of the sand (as much as 1-2 feet, I have read) using these field detectors. The POD sends out a signal that bothers the shark--kinda like chalk screeching on a blackboard--and the shark shys away from the source. I have seen it work and it is very impressive. Not sure I would venture outside a cage to swim with great whites, though, if I were wearing one.

Joewr

I agree, I can never get close enough to a shark to get a good pic.But I heard on todays news, a diver had his leg taken off by a shark. He swam to shore with one leg and passed out. Now that would ruin your day. I think they said the Bahamas, did not say what kind of shark.
Mike

Back
Top Bottom