Keeping my feet up...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I use the CG drill when needed while diving, but I haven't ever found myself actually arching my back while diving. I don't have any issues getting my legs/ankles/feet/arms/hands in the proper positions, so I guess its cool.

I'll find out starting tomorrow when I re-take Fundies.....

I knew I'd get dinged for that! When I say I want my legs at 90 degrees, I meant I just want to be able to trim out well. And every time I start to cork, my legs begin to have a mind of their own!

JeffG:
A solution to the wrong problem.

The problem is to stay horz....

The solution is not have legs at a 90 deg bend, the solution is to use your arms and your legs as counter weights regardless of where they (arms and legs) end up. (ie push your ankles back, you should go heads up, ankles to your butt..you should go heads down)

LOL! No ****!

I had planned to take Fundies in the spring, but now it looks like I'll have to wait until the summer to do it. My hope is that with regular practice, I can improve my diving some on my own before I head to fundies.

MonkSeal:
The problem you have and post above show the importance and value of fundies class.

Yea, I know it's not an itnernet problem. What I was hoping for (and subsequently got) was for someone to relate how the problem was tackled in fundies or in their own diving, and I could try to apply it here. I have one friend in town who is DIR trained. Nice guy and I hope to get his assistance in a few weeks when I can convince him to swim around in shallow water instead of in a cave for a day! :)

I don't know anyone with an underwater camera. Yet. I'm very sure it won't be confrontational. I'm a coach and use game film all the time. Very use to the effects.

-P

Reinoud:
This sounds like a problem that is hard to solve on the Internet ";-)
Do you have people in your neighbourhood that are DIR trained? What is their advice?

Or another option: is there someone in your neighbourhood that has a camara with an underwater housing? Most modern digicams can make little movies too. Try to get some footage of yourself underwater. Usually that is very confrontating ";-)

(DIR-F classes are usually taped too)

PerroneFord:
Yea, I know it's not an itnernet problem.
Yes, it is. The problem is trying to diagnose a trim issue on the internet. An instructor will be able to watch you in the water and straight up tell you what you're doing wrong and how to correct it.

You can't do that on the internet.

I think it was Mike Ferrara who posted on another thread a couple of good ideas for assessing trim. He said get yourself neutral and hovering horizontal, then close your eyes for 20 seconds. Open them up and see which way you have tipped -- that will tell you which end of you is heavier :)

In my (admittedly limited) experience, if you have to be swimming to be neutral and horizontal, you are either not neutral or out of trim. Not being neutral is something you can pretty readily fix, but being out of trim may require either changing the position of your body parts or moving some of your weight around.

I assumed you had taken the class when I posted.

My suggestion to you now is to not do anything but wait until the class. You're going to wind up practicing the wrong technique (or what you perceive from reading this stuff), and you will have a much more difficult time to undo what you've done.

Go get some more dives under your belt and wait for the class.

PerroneFord:
LOL! No ****!

I had planned to take Fundies in the spring, but now it looks like I'll have to wait until the summer to do it. My hope is that with regular practice, I can improve my diving some on my own before I head to fundies.

Well,

To be honest, there are thousands of divers who've managed to get trim right and buoyancy right without the DIRF class. Not saying that practicing incorrectly won't be harder to correct, but I don't want to be a "poor diver" while I wait for the class. I hope this makes sense.

I'll enlist the help of my DIR friend to check me over when he has time, and I'll just swim around and learn...

Thanks everyone. I have more questions to ask, but I'll start a new thread.

Actually, I would probably disagree with you. Most diver's trim and bouyancy are aweful. Why? Because their instructors don't even know what it means to be trim, nor do they usually have any decent control of their bouyancy. So, their student receive the benefits of that kind of instruction. Which ain't good.

You'll understand when you take the class......

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom