Keeping my feet up...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PerroneFord

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
OK,

So I've been trying to practice this in the pool. Iv'e gotten my weight right, I've tried this laying on the bottom, and on a descent. But no matter WHAT I try, I cannot keep my feet up to maintain my trim. I can do it sometimes. I can do it reasonably well while trying to swim along. But as soon as an ascent starts, whether intended or I am just corking, my feet start to go crazy.

Someone PLEASE help me solve this one. It's driving me nuts. I just want to keep my legs bent 90 degrees...

jonnythan:
Tell us about your rig.

Environment:

Pool. 6ft deep sloping to 3ft deep.

Exposure Suit:

5mm FJ top. Long sleeves, short bottom
7/5mm hood

BCD

Halcyon Pioneer 27 with SS plate
Scout

Tank:
AL80

Weights
6 pounds on a belt.

I am able to get neutral in the water, and I am able to lay on the bottom with my wing empty and my lungs empty. I'm thinking I may be about 1 pound light, but I can deal with that. By the time I add a can light to the mix, I'll be plenty negative.

I've got my tank to the proper height now, so no more headstands unless I REALLY kick my feet up and move my hands down underneath my waist.

I was grossly overweight a couple of weeks ago with 14 pounds on the belt, and I could barely keep my feet up even just laying on the bottom. I feel good about my weighting now though.

Comments welcome.

I'll assume you've tried moving your feet closer to your body from the fundy's class.

Ever try trim weights? They might move a few pounds up your body and make your lower body a bit lighter.

One last suggestion- arch your back. Over emphasize it at first until you get the feel for it.

I have not taken fundies yet. I am just trying to get myself into decent trim so I can start diving again. I tried to move my feet closer to my butt today and that made me a bit top heavy. I think the distribution of weight is ok.

I did not try arching my back, but that came to me tonight as I was sitting here in my room. I'll give that a whirl next time I do a practice session.

Again, on the move, I am able to trim out decently well. So I don't think I need a trim weight at this point. Honestly, I think it's just a lack of practice and a psychological block. I just wondered if they told divers something in DIR-F that I might use as a magic bullet.

Kinda like trying to not cork in 6 feet of water when I try to take long deep breaths. I am coming to the conclusion that in shallow water, I cannot keep my SAC rate down. I will just have to take short breaths and try to moderate how much I bounce.

I need to try this buoyancy in 30ft of water or so and see how I do.

detroit diver:
One last suggestion- arch your back. Over emphasize it at first until you get the feel for it.
I remember the first couple of dives as our instructor said "imagine your holding a pencil in your crack-dont let it fall out" or something to that nature.
My but hurt for days.
It really is the best advice-arch your back and keep your head up towards the manifold on your tank. When you feel your feet getting floaty arch more and raise your head more.
Something that helps remind me is holding my hands out at eye level and arching my back and head to look over my hands.

PerroneFord:
I just want to keep my legs bent 90 degrees...
A solution to the wrong problem.

The problem is to stay horz....

The solution is not have legs at a 90 deg bend, the solution is to use your arms and your legs as counter weights regardless of where they (arms and legs) end up. (ie push your ankles back, you should go heads up, ankles to your butt..you should go heads down)

The other issue is that most people drop their knees (which causes another snafu with trying to keep a trim position), so to counter that, you must try to arch your back while diving. The first couple of times, it may not be comfortable, but who says diving is easy :wink:

PerroneFord:
I have not taken fundies yet. I am just trying to get myself into decent trim so I can start diving again. I tried to move my feet closer to my butt today and that made me a bit top heavy. I think the distribution of weight is ok.

I did not try arching my back, but that came to me tonight as I was sitting here in my room. I'll give that a whirl next time I do a practice session.
One of the Fundies teachings is the CG (Center of Gravity) drill. Once you're in horizontal trim and neutral buoyancy, by extending or flexing your legs and looking forward (head up) or looking down (head down), you can change your trim to head up or head down.

As for arching your back.... stand in front of a mirror. Now arch your back.... most likely you will find that your butt goes back and your knees go forward. Now try it a different way... use your butt muscles to pull your knees back while tilting your head back and looking toward the ceiling ... this effectively arches your back AND brings your knees back. Your whole torso and thighs should be an arc. Practice it on the floor if you want. How my fundies instructor said to do it was by lying on a bad or table with your hips off the table so you can't cheat... that's tough :11:

OK, now you know what it's supposed to feel like. When you do this in the water, now you can extend or flex your lower legs to adjust your trim!

The problem you have and post above show the importance and value of fundies class.

PerroneFord:
OK,

So I've been trying to practice this in the pool. Iv'e gotten my weight right, I've tried this laying on the bottom, and on a descent. But no matter WHAT I try, I cannot keep my feet up to maintain my trim. I can do it sometimes. I can do it reasonably well while trying to swim along. But as soon as an ascent starts, whether intended or I am just corking, my feet start to go crazy.

Someone PLEASE help me solve this one. It's driving me nuts. I just want to keep my legs bent 90 degrees...

This sounds like a problem that is hard to solve on the Internet ";-)
Do you have people in your neighbourhood that are DIR trained? What is their advice?

Or another option: is there someone in your neighbourhood that has a camara with an underwater housing? Most modern digicams can make little movies too. Try to get some footage of yourself underwater. Usually that is very confrontating ";-)

(DIR-F classes are usually taped too)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom