Keeping dive sites a secret

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Want a happier wife? Don't bring home what most people would pay to have taken to the dump.
There's no way in heck I'd ever start scavenging wrecks. My wife has enough issues with all the other crap I have in the garage. It would be a very bad idea to add a bunch of underwater garbage.

+1. My basement is a testament to various hobbies / passions of the past several decades, as my lovely wife is constantly pointing out. There's barely room to squeeze between the blacksmithing and ferrier's equipment, collectable old handtools, lathes, stationary power tools, racks of hardwood, etc. etc. Fortunately my daughters were in college when I started diving so a bedroom became the SCUBA gear storage locker.

Too often I dive with brass collectors who pull portholes, instruments and anything green they can find and tell me to keep the site a secret until they have removed as much as they can.

You dive with BSAC divers ? :rofl3: :gas:

Last edited:
In florida you absolutely have to keep dive sites a secret. In say Seattle, fishermen don't fish the dive sites, but in florida if a fisherman sees a dive flag somewhere that means it's game on for him.

Not to mention the shocking number of Florida boaters that think a dive flag means "get as close as possible."

There's an artifical reef in the sarasota harbor that no one fished until I started Diving it with kayaks all the time, now it's constantly fished, and I can't dive it without risking entanglement, forget about depletion it's a safety issue.

In florida you absolutely have to keep dive sites a secret. In say Seattle, fishermen don't fish the dive sites, but in florida if a fisherman sees a dive flag somewhere that means it's game on for him.

Not to mention the shocking number of Florida boaters that think a dive flag means "get as close as possible."

There's an artifical reef in the sarasota harbor that no one fished until I started Diving it with kayaks all the time, now it's constantly fished, and I can't dive it without risking entanglement, forget about depletion it's a safety issue.
Interesting point / fact & a shame...

Very similar situation for us in Libya except it is dynamite fishermen/criminals.

Back
Top Bottom