Keep the Ranger or not?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

manni-yunk

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I have a Zeagle Ranger LTD

I love it.

I am currently transitioning to a drysuit - after I get done another 20 or so dives I plan on moving to double HP 100s.

I will probably dive myLP 95s as Singles just as oftern as the doubles.

A BC that can transition from doubles to single config would be ideal - but Ive read guys talk about a wing needs to be SPECIFIC for single or double.

A lot of guys in my area dive the Ranger with doubles and even more dive the Tech with doubles and they love them (almost all with an added Stainless Steel plate). A lot of them go back and forth from Single to Double with no problem.

Besides the additional 20 lbs of lift - is the wing on a tech better suited for doubles that the one on a ranger?

Im trying to deside between (1)selling the Ranger LTD and Buying a tech -(2) selling the Ranger and buying a bp/w and (3) keeping the Ranger

Im pretty sure that the ranger has enough lift for what I need (especially when Im dry) - but just wanted more opinions.

I personally dont understand what a true BP/W would give me over a Tech or Ranger with a back plate added on?

I personally dont understand what a true BP/W would give me over a Tech or Ranger with a back plate added on?

It's what it would not give you that is the benefit.

No padding
No "rip cords" and weight pockets
No "accessory" pockets
No complex attachment of the wing to the harness
No plastic buckles
No sternum strap

G,day. As you may have heard, if you are making substantial gear changes, doing it in regulated stages will help keep you out of the abyss.
Very good.

Used a Ranger for a couple of hundred single 120 dives 44 lb bag had a lovely time.

Used a Ranger for a couple of hundred double 100s dives 44lb bag had a lovely time.

The doubles setup consisted of (ONLY the standard WEBBING BACK) a couple of stainless bands and stabilizing plates and wing nuts.
The only addition was a crotch strap which maintained the immovable stability of the tanks on my back.

All things considered, the total body contoured comfort, strength and stability of the Ranger platform which utilises the (tanks as the back plate) and the ample weight pockets would preclude the addition of another not so contoured lump of steel to dig into your suit and your back.

I have also used the Ranger with other manufacturers wings and even tailor made ones utilising only standard included grommets for mounting.

You may also have heard suggested from the same people, that the doughnut wing is the only wing because they imagine they can control the air inside and a bcd is sub standard, the taco effect (does your wing have straps to prevent this) and horseshoe wings involve all and sundry of negatives as they regressively refuse a shoulder dump, whilst confusing the progression in their diving capability with what may be provided by the new fan dangled gear that they have just, or want to fork out bucks for to someone because someone else told someone or they saw it in Paris or a fashion magazine.

WHEN ALL IT MAY HAVE TAKEN WAS THE ADDITION OF A CROTCH STRAP

P7050009.JPG

TO THEIR EXISTING GEAR

It will also be recommended a 55 pound wing for doubles no matter your size, suit or configuration when your 44 pound wing will be completely adequate for both styles of diving on your way to superhero dom.

Control of air movement due to the taco effect is only something to consider the morning after the night before at Taco Bell.

So in summarising, when I doubled up with the Ranger I did not go back with this equipment to singles because my psyche does not have the range of feeding cam bands and threading buckles and I own all manner of configuration of bcds, bac pacs, plates and wings and use them all with great success and satisfaction so despite cams I can only imagine a continued success with your Zeagle Ranger.

Your style is your style and will remain so.

Much better.

Those who love the BP tend to ignore the down sides of the so called benefits. Keep the Ranger for your single tanks and buy something else for doubles.

It's what it would not give you that is the benefit.

No padding- So you have to put up with an uncomfortable BC or add them
No "rip cords" and weight pockets- You replace it with an unreliable, PITA belt
No "accessory" pockets- You have to add them to your BP or drysuit
No complex attachment of the wing to the harness- 4 triglides are real complex, besides you constantly remove the wings
No plastic buckles- That allow you to easily adjust the BC in seconds instead of over mulitple dives and make it so much easier to get into and out of, the main reason most BP divers have 2 or 3 of them
No sternum strap - And if you happen to like it, you have to add it.

Those who love the BP tend to ignore the down sides of the so called benefits. Keep the Ranger for your single tanks and buy something else for doubles.

No complex attachment of the wing to the harness- 4 triglides are real complex, besides you constantly remove the wings
No plastic buckles- That allow you to easily adjust the BC in seconds instead of over mulitple dives and make it so much easier to get into and out of, the main reason most BP divers have 2 or 3 of them

The question was "I personally dont understand what a true BP/W would give me over a Tech or Ranger with a back plate added on? "

And the answer to that question is what a BP would not give you.

I imagine the drysuit would off-set any need for padding.

If you feel the "Rip-cord" weight system is superior to a weight belt when diving HP 100's that's fine. I tend to disagree.

What do you see putting in those two small pockets? (The ones with the horizontal zippers that are parallel to the weight pouches and almost indistinguishable while underwater)

You are stuck with Zeagle wings.

I don't know that many BP/W divers that add a bunch of plastic releases to their webbing nor have to adjust the harness often but concede that you may.

Same as above.

Keep the Ranger for your single tanks and buy something else for doubles.

Probably the best option.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom