Keep freezing or spent the $ to buy a Whites Fusion (or other) drysuit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba Christine

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi everyone,
Thanks to the great discussions on here I've almost made up my mind to go with the Whites Fusion Bullet suit as I can't stand freezing anymore. But, before I put down that much $ on a toy I wanted to check in with you all and make sure I'm still sane.

I can't test dive any of the suits because of a severe contact allergy to the chemicals in most detergents and lotions. No used gear for me either. So I'm going into this a bit blind.

The issues for me are that I am always cold in and out of the water and I'm starting to to get so cold that I'm checking my air hoping it is time to head back.

I like the Whites suit because I am short (5'5)and like many women, my weight fluctuates and I'd like this sit to fit me till it disintegrates. The size range on most women's drysuits doesn't seem so great for my height. Im a S/M in the Whites.

Questions for you:
So, if you own a Whites suit, would you recommend it to a first time drysuit user/buyer? Which skin? If not, why?

How careful do you have to be don/doff vs. other drysuits?

What kind of package did you get? Do you recommend?
Do you use/like/wish you had the user replaceable seals?

What thermals do you wear /recommend?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
While I can't comment on many of your specific questions, I have a comment about drysuits in general. I am reasonably cold-tolerant and I LOVED the switch from wetsuit to drysuit, especially for multiple-dive days and cooler conditions during my surface interval. I spent over $2000 on my suit and it was an excellent investment. Shell suits like the one you are considering can be worn over a range of temperatures by choosing the correct undergarments.

There are drysuit courses but I just found a drysuit diver (an instructor) who gave me a few pointers. The first five or so dives were humiliating but after that it was great.

Enjoy!

-Crush

Thanks Crush!
The price tag is tripping me up a bit too, but I keep trying to look at it as a 10 year investment.

I reallly hate being cold -- I wear a sweater in the a/c in the office. If I could stay warm I think I'd be much happier!

Many thanks!
- C

I can't comment on Whites specifically but I'd definitely say that it is worth it (even if it does cost more) to get a drysuit that is comfortable and will keep you warm.
I dive in sub-zero water and am (almost!) toasty in an O'three drysuit and Fourth Element Arctic thermals - though it depends what temperatures you're diving in and it takes a bit of trial and error to work out what is best for you in terms of undersuits and layering.

M

Christine,

I've got the Whites Fusion w/ tech skin, my first and only dry suit. I moved from a 7mm John/jacket wet suit that I hated. LOVE the Whites, even though there have been many revisions to the suit since I bought mine 2+ years ago. First is they've widened the ankle openings. That's a big help if you're wearing thick or layered thermal foot protection. They've also improved the quality of sewing on the thigh pockets. And they've broadened the offerings for skins as well.

I find it very easy to don/doff, the only PITA has been getting my feet out but they've covered that. I've been told getting into the bottom is like putting on panty hose and while I don't have experience with that, I find it goes on quite easily. Occasionally it can be a bit difficult to find the arm hole when putting the top on, but if you have a buddy or remember to untwist the arm / make sure the opening is available that makes things easier.

I got a special price during the Our World Underwater show and paid $1600 shipped for the suit, tech skin, MK2 John and jacket, evo 3 boots, 3mm neoprene booties, zip wax, inflater hose and big carry bag. I've added Viking dry gloves which I love for another $100 - but VERY worth it. I also have a 4th element long sleeve top that I use in cold (45F and below) water with the john. The jacket I've only used once, while ice diving. I was plenty warm!

Give Mike Pedersen a call at Dive Right In Scuba (diverightinscuba.com) - he's a great guy and will set you up. Tell him I said hi! He's one of if not the largest Whites dealers in the US and I get most of my gear from him.

Good luck!

I have a Whites Fusion w/tech skin and have been extremely happy with it. The suit is easy to put on/take off and easy to maintain. However, how well the suit works for you is mainly a function of your undergarment. I originally had a Whites jumpsuit, but did not like the fit and excess material. Instead, I now use Fourth Element undergarments, which are all two piece. I wear extra large tops and large bottoms so I have a perfect fit. Also, I can combine various undergarments to fit the temperature of the water, including a dive last fall in 37F water where I was toasty warm. The Fusion will also accommodate rather large weight fluctuations and still remain comfortable. Also, because of the suit design, the skin compresses the shell and keeps excess air and air movement within the suit to a minimum. This makes it an easy drysuit to dive and minimizes those scenarios where all of your air ends up in an inconvenient place, like your lower legs.

One of the problems when switching from a thick wetsuit to a drysuit is that you will start doing a lot more diving. For many years I used a two piece 7mm and thought I was quite comfortable, after switching I realized that the only time I would use a wetsuit again was when a 3mm was plenty. I have the Whites Fusion with Tech Skin and have been very happy with it, other members of my club also have Fusions, some with Tech Skins some with Sport Skins and several with Bullet Skins, and all are happy with them. This is my second drysuit, the first was a Bare NexGen which is now my backup. I found the Fusion easier to dive than the Nexgen as there really is no air bubble to control. My dive season locally is now 10 months of the year in the Great Lakes and could be 12 if I wanted to. As for getting it on and off the only issue I have is getting my feet out.

I own a Fusion . . . In fact, I've had one for four years, and like it well enough that I now own two.

I have used the Sport, Tech and Bullet skins, and I would recommend against the Bullet. It's heavier, dries very slowly, needs special rinsing, and impacts the superb mobility which is one of the best features of the suit. The Tech skin gives you pockets, which is enough; if you have suspenders, you're not going to have a horrible case of droopy drawers during surface interval (and when the suit is zipped up, it's not an issue).

I would highly recommend the suit for a new dry suit diver. The gentle compression of the outer skin keeps any part of the suit from ballooning and seriously trapping gas. This makes the bubble much easier to manage.

Donning and doffing a Fusion is a little more work than a simple trilam suit, but if you don't have overly bulky undergarments, it really isn't that bad. I have used the Whites Mk3 (very warm, but very bulky), the 4th Element Halo (equally warm, but less bulky) and I'm now using the Thermal Fusion (equally warm, but MUCH less bulky). Each has made it a little easier to get in and out of the suit, and when I dive in warmer water, with my 200g Thinsulate undergarment, or the light ones I use in MX, it's not an issue at all. It requires no more care than any other suit (the only careful part of getting in and out of a suit is to take care with the seals and the zipper, and all suits have those things in common).

I have had the suit with the regular seals and the user-replaceable seals. The UR seals are nice, in the sense that you can swap out a seal in the field pretty quickly. But to have the UR wrist seals, you commit to having a plastic ring system all the time, and you are limited in the choices for dry gloves. The suit I take to warm water has the rings, because I need my wrist seals to be REALLY tight to stay dry with bare hands. The suit I use at home, which always has dry gloves on it, has the normal seals, because I don't have to replace them that often.

The neck ring system works beautifully, but does limit your mobility somewhat. It is probably not a big issue for most single tank divers, although it can make reaching your dry suit valve challenging. It's a PITA for people who dive doubles and carry deco bottles, though.

If you can get a package with the Thermal Fusion, go for it.

Thanks for all the great advice. I was leaning toward the Bullet skin because of the durability issue. -- glad to know about the advantages of the Tech skin.

I may just give in and order myself one for my birthday (tomorrow!) not that the shops will be open. :D Everyone will be underwater or cooking out!

I second the Whites Fusion Tech. I purchased it from Dive Right In Scuba as a package. Everything from hood to boots. I had the silicone seals installed because I am allergic to latex. I got the Mark II undergarment as well as the fusion undergarment. I had considered the Bullet but the drying time and weight kicked it out in favor of the tech.

Happy birthday, I know you will like your new tech suit and DRIS.

Back
Top Bottom