kayaks kayaks kayaks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jeffrey-c:
I've got a Hobie that I love. The unique thing is they have a pedal arrangement that "swims" through the water - I find it really efficient and far less tiring than paddling with my arms. The Outback model can take a dive rig, and is very stable.

http://www.hobiecat.com/kayaking/models_outback.html

I've seen these at several shows but have always used "traditional?" kayaks without a problem. Do you find it as fun for just kayaking or are the advantages really in fishing/diving/having more gear?

I got the Hobie Mirage when it first came out (the first model with the pedals) as a "toy" to keep on my big boat. I quickly found that it was just a blast for cruising around the marinas, ocean coves around Catalina, etc. You adopt a slightly recumbant position and use the big muscles in the legs, so I've found it feels much more efficient than paddling. And it works pretty well when paddled also, although it's straight line stability isn't quite as good as a true paddle-only kayak. Once I started snorkeling off it and doing some diving, I found the Outback to be more stable. I don't think the Hobie would work at all in a river kayaking environment with fast water and obtacles, but it seems great for ocean kayaking.

Awesome. I'll have to play with one before I buy my new kayak this fall.

I think you'll be hooked. I note you're in San Diego - there's a Hobie dealer in Mission Bay that used to let you try them out.

I am dubious of the Hobie paddle fins. The native peoples who developed the kayak would proably be dubious as well. Well, I suppose they could have speared seals while paddling with their feet. Ya know, I just don't think those will work well as you charge through the surf--going in or out--or get washed in upside down after rolling over and over by a breaker. I bet those little fin things break off.

Get a kayak that uses a traditional paddle, the OK Drifter if you want a barge, the Prowler 13 or 15 if you need something that can be paddled nicely etc. Cobra makes some nice yaks too but the OK designs just seem more diver friendly to me.

Long kayaks are more stable than short kayaks, wide kayaks are more stable than skinny kayaks. A long relatively narrow kayak therefore may be as stable as a short pudgy yak and will make much better speed, punch into the wind and surf much better, track much better etc.

N

I have a Hobie Revolution and a Scupper Pro TW. Both are nice kayaks in different circumstances. If you have money to throw away and do not have to deal with kelp the Hobie's with the Mirage drive work well. Otherwise the Ocean Kayaks are the way to go, along with other brands like Malibu and Cobra. Many people will use a double kayak for diving. Some doubles allow different positions depending on if you are paddling it as a single or two people in the kayak. Hobie makes one like that too.

My Hobie has been hot rodded with the Turbo fins, and with them, it can go pretty fast. Paddling the thing sucks without the rudder down. Even then it just does OK. This past weekend I ran into a submerged stump at a pretty good clip and slightly bent a rod. No biggie as it did not break, but instead of going to a Hobie dealer and paying too much for one, I am going to find the stainless rod and just cut my own for a spare. They are nothing special with just a notch in them.
Hobie.jpg

My hubby recently bought a 14 ft Liquid Logic, he loves it. And he bought it with the thought of carting his dive gear around and diving from it. I'll probally be purchasing one myself soon and I'll be leaning towards one very similiar!!

I am 6'2" and weigh250- 260 so my weight as well as my dive gear weight is why I was thinking about getting the drifter. I have looked at the scupper and I do like it. The prowler is just to expensive although a nice kayak.

If your that large a guy then the Drifter may be right for you. Your a big guy so you need a big yak to carry your big guy gear---go for it. :)

N

Ive been to economy tackle like moteman has suggested and they are mostly hobie kayaks with a big $ sign on them. Does anyone know of any other places to look?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom