Kayak vs. Inflatable diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FishDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I have lots of experience diving from small inflatables. I have experience sea kayaking but not kayak/diving. I own a small (11') inflatable that I have used many times for lake fishing. I have a 5 hp motor and wheels mounted on the transom and can easily drag the boat from my truck to the water. The boat will probably only accommodate two divers and gear.

I am interested in comparing the utility of this boat versus a kayak for diving because of its size. It is more stable than a kayak and not much faster. In a group dive I would think it might be compatible with kayak divers. Do kayak divers ever dive solo? How does a small inflatable carrying two divers compare to two divers in two kayaks for diving comfort and ease?

BTW, I am looking for buddies to occupy the second seat.

I freedive and SCUBA dive from kayaks or inflatable. Either solo or with buddies.

An underpowered 11' inflatable with 5hp may not be safe for near shore diving along our coast with the weight of a SCUBA diver with gear. A second SCUBA diver with gear; the underpowered inflatable is now a lumbering rowboat. So 2 kayaks may be faster than a 5hp inflatable.

Obviously, a seaworthy inflatable with the correct size motor is a safer more stable diving platform than a kayak. I normally use my kayak though. My buddies usually desire the inflatable because it will get out to the site faster and is easier to dive off of.

Are their any regulations against dragging an inflatable with an outboard through any of the beach access areas in Monterey County?

One advantage of my little 11 footer is that I don't require a boat ramp. I have no interest in rowing the thing, though.

Last edited:
I freedive and SCUBA dive from kayaks or inflatable. Either solo or with buddies.

Do you take any specific safety precaution when you solo from a small craft that are in addition or different from soloing from the shore?

I have done many solo beach dives and a number of solo dives from boats but never a solo captain/solo dive.

I tried diving off my kayak and it was far more trouble than it was worth. YMMV

I used to kayak dive. Now I use my inflatable. :wink:

A few people on this board have been diving off of it, too.

Yeah, it's pretty cute and we were able to fit 3 of us on it that day at Lobos. :wink:

I've never dove off of or owned an inflatable boat but I do have a kayak and I also have a larger boat that I use.
I guess one reason I would probably choose a kayak over a very small inflatable would be the fact that it is simpler, no motor, no fuel, no cf# and related fees, etc.
I wanted a boat ( I did eventually get one) I made sure it was something that would be big enough and sea worthy enough to do the job right and safely. I thought about getting a small inflatable but I saw the issue of it not being big to cover a lot of range and a waste for closer sites that could be reached with a kayak. To me theiy're kind of and in between boat, overkill for one and insufficient for the other. So I decided to put the money towards a boat I knew would serve me better and be a better value in the long run.
I used to kayak dive all the time and still do occasionally. I really enjoy the activity of kayaking and the upper body exercise. I have an Ocean Kayak Scrambler XT with a tank well and I can easily do a very nice scuba dive off it. It takes a little practice and a certain order of getting geared up and putting everything on in the water but the whole concept is very simple.
One place kayak diving would work excellent would be to reach aquarium reef from San Carlos beach or at point lobos.
Many use kayaks up here on the North Coast.

Kayak diving is a lot more work that it looks. In addition to the obvious of getting the boat off the car, and to the waterline, and paddling to the site there is more time spent handling your equipment. You have to stow all your equipment so none is lost in the transit to and from the site. This isn't much different for a small inflatable but just a consideration.
But I'm a little confused. You are looking for a partner for your boat but you are considering a kayak. There aren't a lot of kayak divers around Monterey and you may have problems find buddies to go with you; it would be a lot easier to fill a seat in an inflatable than a kayak. As was said, it takes a little practice to dive comfortably off a kayak and I wouldn't want to train a new person every time I went diving.

Ben

Compass
Signal Mirror
Light on my gun for signaling
Dye Marker
Whistle
Maybe a knife
Reel with line on my gun
Spearfishing popper float with over pressure relief - can inflate with CO2 or by mouth - doubles as lift bag/signaling device

Left on board kayak or inflatable:
Marine Transceiver, first aid kit, water, lunch, life vest, paddle float, float bags for kayaks without bulkheads.

Notify someone where you are going. Know your limits! Do not kayak or dive beyond one's capabilities. Be able to get your butt back to shore.

Link to some good points on kayak diving: http://jimspears.net/

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom