Kayak Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What is the benefit of diving from a kayak versus just kicking out on your back? Would paddling out take less energy than floating out and kicking? I don't mean that to sound sarcastic, I truly want to know. The place I'm staying at in Dec allows use of their kayaks. I thought about it, but it seems like it might not be worth the hassle...thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

What is the benefit of diving from a kayak versus just kicking out on your back? Would paddling out take less energy than floating out and kicking? I don't mean that to sound sarcastic, I truly want to know. The place I'm staying at in Dec allows use of their kayaks. I thought about it, but it seems like it might not be worth the hassle...thoughts?

My experience tells me that it would take considerably less energy, plus it combines paddling with diving...two of my favorite activities :)

My experience tells me that it would take considerably less energy, plus it combines paddling with diving...two of my favorite activities :)

I was also thinking that for many of the sites that are subject to boat traffic and thus not shorediving friendly, having a kayak would increase your visibility at lease somewhat. If you do it, please report back your experience!

I don't know much about Kayaking so I cannot offer too much advise. The one weekend I did use the dive-Kayak combo it was fantastic but I was with people who knew the area and how to set an appropriate anchor. We would die our kayaks together and dive along a wall so that navigation was pretty simple.

The tips I do have, is yes tie your yaks together when you leave them...and while underway do make sure everything is clipped in (mask, fins, etc. I did roll my kayak at one point...) Also Keep some air in your bcd. I was doing this in California, with a 23lb weight belt. we would get our suits on fully while still in the kayak, then weight belt and all additional gear.

Now, getting back in the boat....

I found it was easiest to but the boat between you and your BCD setup, rest with your arms over the boat (and body still in the water), and hoist the gear into the kayak by pulling. It worked a lot better for me than my first attempt of picking up the gear and putting it in the boat while your still in the water.

I had a blast and while I am used to long surface swims, having Kayaks allowed me to go to really wonderful sites, and many in the same day.

Good luck!

I don't know much about Kayaking so I cannot offer too much advise. The one weekend I did use the dive-Kayak combo it was fantastic but I was with people who knew the area and how to set an appropriate anchor. We would die our kayaks together and dive along a wall so that navigation was pretty simple.

The tips I do have, is yes tie your yaks together when you leave them...and while underway do make sure everything is clipped in (mask, fins, etc. I did roll my kayak at one point...) Also Keep some air in your bcd. I was doing this in California, with a 23lb weight belt. we would get our suits on fully while still in the kayak, then weight belt and all additional gear.

Now, getting back in the boat....

I found it was easiest to but the boat between you and your BCD setup, rest with your arms over the boat (and body still in the water), and hoist the gear into the kayak by pulling. It worked a lot better for me than my first attempt of picking up the gear and putting it in the boat while your still in the water.

I had a blast and while I am used to long surface swims, having Kayaks allowed me to go to really wonderful sites, and many in the same day.

Good luck!
Thanks for the yak diving tips! They will come in handy!

We regularly swim out to Babylon. It's normally about 20 minutes of fairly easy kicking. It would be a quick paddle.

Surely the poster is asking about kayaking from the Reef to Babylon not driving with the kayaks from the Reef to Old Man Bay & then kayaking from the shore to Babylon?

We regularly swim out to Babylon. It's normally about 20 minutes of fairly easy kicking. It would be a quick paddle.

Surely the poster is asking about kayaking from the Reef to Babylon not driving with the kayaks from the Reef to Old Man Bay & then kayaking from the shore to Babylon?
Surely I mis-interpreted the intent of the post?

A paddle through the channel in Colliers is not something I really even considered. I've been there when it's possible, but the dives on the Northeast side are subject to significant tidal and current fluctuations. We planned on racking the kayaks on our SUV TO THE DIVE SITES.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom