Kayak diving in Jacskonville?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

8251reefer

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
All,
Are their any folks out there that dive off Jax or the surrounding area (within 100 miles or so). I am getting a kayak so I can dive the St Marys River near Georgia but I was curious to see how many kayak divers are here in Jax. Also if you are hit me up and we can go dive sometime and maybe I can get some pointers from some of the locals.

Okay. I got a good deal IMO on a kayak off of craigslist. I'll be ready to go by next week...Anyone want to paddle out? Or stay inland and dive the St Marys for prehistoric sharks teeth. I have a couple of spots via word of mouth so if you are interested please let me know. Otherwise I'll be going solo...

Did you go? I've been away, hows the vis?

Live in gainesville, jax is about a hour away, lots closer than Vennice beach.

I did go diving in the St Marys but not by kayak. I went with another guy here on the board that had a boat. I did find some shark teeth in the spot we dove but all were small. I did two dives there. During the first dive the vis with the outgoing tide was not very good probably 6-12 inches with alot of silt (it did rain during the week prior to the dive) which explains all of the suspended material in the water. The second dive however was during slack tide and the vis was really bad much like diving in chocolate milk. I surfaced after about 15 min in the water. I do not recommend diving during the slack tide. You have to dive with some current and time it right as the current in the river during signifigant tidal changes is quite strong. I do have a dive spot where you will be able to beach the kayak and dive off the shore, it is only open during low tide and you will have to time the tides just right. I used the Crandall road boat ramp and the Crandall St Marys road tide table to go by.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom