kayak diving anyone

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Prepare once bubbled...
I guess my idea of what kayaking is differs to yours :eek:
I enjoy a nice long strenuous paddle as well, infact with the winter storms and swells approaching I can't wait to get out in the water. I just don't combine that type of paddling with diving.

NITF

NITF wrote...
As far as the tanks go I talked with Ocean Kayak and they said the specs and the mold are still changing but I would assume that the tank well will be at least 24" long so with the LP120 you might have to place your BC in the well first and have the tank go upward at an angle towards the stern, and it should fit.
I hadn't really thought about it not fitting in the tank well; I had in mind whether I could store a second tank in the bow hold.

metridium once bubbled...
The Prowler really appeals to me.

but I probably couldn't do both kayaking and diving together.

I've paddled 3-4 times on Ocean Kayaks that look very similar to the Prowler (if it wasn't the same) just for fun, not for diving. You can rent them all over the Windward side of the island and paddle them off Lanikai or Kailua beach.

I've also paddled in outrigger canoes before (also for fun, not competition) so I thought this would be close to the same. The kayak was a lot harder than it looked. Well, the fact that in an outrigger you've got about 5 other people also paddling with you probably contributed to it being easier :wink:.

It was hard getting on the kayak (it was a sit on top, not sit inside) without tipping it over - highly embarrassing, by the way - and it was just a pain to keep on the straight and narrow. Seemed to be very unwieldy. Maybe it was the current, maybe not - but it was to a certain degree physically taxing. I doubt I'd be able to paddle it out, dive and paddle back in easily.

I've paddled the sit inside type kayaks in Alaska - those were a bit easier as far as control, but I doubt they lend themselves to diving very well.

Stability in cross wind is definately an issue with SOT Kayaks.

Some have rudders - these add to cross-wind stability to be sure. They get in the way and are a pain for Fishing Kayaks (we're constantly going below deck, routing the electronics, etc.) so ours don't have them. But they REALLY help when the wind or current is ripping.

The Manta is disco, and that's too bad. I paddled one last summer in Marina Del Rey at a demo, and then in SB later that week - it was really cool. Lots of room, but heavier than the SP TW. My wife had the SP and it helped because she could keep up, as the Manta paddles slower.

There is a guy blowing them out on eBay... in Texas. I saw one for like $400 the other day - with the convertable top! You know that's a complete steal on a Manta.

Hey Chepar - have some Island Snow for me, and stop by the Kalapawai store and get me another Tee...mine is shreadded.

I miss that place.

kk

wht about inflatables ??? are those durable ?? i need something protables for traveling via airlines

Are you talking about packing and schlepping an inflatable kayak on a plane to a dive site?

Yikes.

I travel all the time for business. Did about 250,00 miles last year. Over the years, I've learned there are two types of luggage:

1) The kind you carry on
2) the kind you leave at home

I can't imagine checking an inflatable through to my destination. Seems like a tough sell. Then there's the paddles, the pump (talk about a work out). Most dive destinations (I presume...I've only been to one) have Kayaks for rent, don't they?

IMHO, seems like a haul, muleing that thing to the dive destination.

kk

metridium once bubbled...
I hadn't really thought about it not fitting in the tank well; I had in mind whether I could store a second tank in the bow hold.
I completely missed the _hold_ reference in your post and went off rambling on another subject...

As far as the hold goes that hatch is 22"x12" and is the same size as both of the hatches on the Manta. When diving the Yukon off the coast of San Diego in the Manta I was able to fit my tank/BC combination into the rear hatch. It was a short tank though so YMMV. If it doesn't fit in the hatch then just stack your tanks in the well, it will raise your COG a bit but I think that boat should be plenty stable for it.

NITF

chepar once bubbled...
Kayak diving sounds fun but I probably couldn't do both kayaking and diving together.

I've paddled 3-4 times on Ocean Kayaks that look very similar to the Prowler (if it wasn't the same) just for fun, not for diving.
More than likely what your were paddling was either a Scrambler or Scrambler XT (larger version of the Scrambler,) those along with the Malibu Two (double) are the meat of the kayak rental industry.

Both Scramblers are nice little play boats but I wouldn't consider either one for any diving activity if you are even close to an average sized male.

Kayaking is a lot like bike riding you can get on one and ride it just fine until something unusual happens then you fall off :) If you take some time and a couple of lessons in a larger touring style boat you can become quite proficient quickly and enjoy the paddle even more.

NITF

NITF once bubbled...
Both Scramblers are nice little play boats but I wouldn't consider either one for any diving activity if you are even close to an average sized male.

If you take some time and a couple of lessons in a larger touring style boat you can become quite proficient quickly and enjoy the paddle even more.

as I'm an average sized female - the ones I used at Kailua were hard enough to handle. :) Absolutely awesome when you've got the wind at your back and you're flying in the *right* direction, a hard row to hoe when you're heading into the wind. Well, at least I could make some headway, albeit slowly. My sister was in a kayak behind me, and when I turned around to look, she had disappeared. Turned out she couldn't fight the current, drifted down the shoreline and found it was easier getting out and dragging it back up the beach.

chepar once bubbled...

as I'm an average sized female - the ones I used at Kailua were hard enough to handle. :)
We certainly need more female kayakers so I will do my best to encourage you...

When you think about a bigger boat don't confuse bigger with harder and certainly don't extrapolate the performance of the Scramblers to the rest of the Kayaks.

A longer touring boat will be heavier than a recreational boat of similar design (ie plastic, sit-on-top, etc) but will be much easier to paddle. The longer hull allows for a shallower angle from the tip of the bow tot he widest part of the hull so you have much less drag. Also a better hull design will allow the boat to track better (continue going in the direction you pointed it) in both crosswinds and currents.

That is why the closed deck boats in Alaska seemed better because they tend to be _much_ better designed than simple plastic sit-on-tops.

Have fun,
NITF

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom