kayak diving anyone

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dxtreme

Reaction score
anyone that paddle to their dive site ??

Is it safe ?? HOw do we tow the kayak ?? reel line ?? anchor ????

Inflatable (rubber duckie ??? , durable ??) which brand infatable kayak to buy ??

Any basics website that teaches diving from a kayak ??

doesnt physical exertion after diving increase your chance of DCS?.

Im reasonably fit but id hate to have to paddle a kayak back to shore after a dive, im normally feeling a bit tired anyway.

Definitely check out the Kayakdiving website as well as purchase his book, a lot of good information in there.

I have used a couple of different kayaks for diving, all of them were plastic sit-on-top type. We usually anchor the Yaks when in the water but if your conditions allow you could drift with them as well.

If you aren't going for a long distance paddle check out the Fish-and-Dive from Cobra Kayaks.

It is a great boat with phenominal stability and cargo capacity but takes a fair amount of effort to paddle.

Longer trips can be done on the Scupper pro TW from Ocean Kayak.

As for physical excertion after a dive I find the walk back to my car with full scuba on much more strenuous than a simple slow paddle back form the kelp beds.

NITF

I guess my idea of what kayaking is differs to yours :eek:

We did some kayak diving in the Solomon Islands last year it was allot of fun.

As we paddled out to the wreck site you could look down off the side of the kayak onto the wreck, we dived it then paddled back to the resort, really was a fantastic way to get to and from the dive site.

We use the Scupper Pro TW (Tank Well). Its a touring design (long, narrow) so its easy to paddle. They're rigged for Kayak Fishing (rod holders, GPS, electronics, electric bait tank, etc.)- but we just yank the bait tank and pull out the electronics and its dive ready in a few minutes.

You can tie off to the Kelp (in SB and La Jolla we'll do that) with a Kelp Anchor, if there's enough there to get a secure grip. If not, you can anchor it with a standard small craft anchor and tie off on the dive.

Its simple stuff, and very little "exertion" is required. Pushing out through the La Jolla swells in the winter can be tricky - I've dumped a few times, as the swells can get over shoulder high in the 4 - 5' range some mornings. The toughest part in SB is the schlep across the sand. The sand schlepp is very short in LaJolla.

Its Kayak Fish through the summer (Yellow Tail. Thresher, white Seabass, etc.) and Kayak diving in the winter. Getting in and out takes some practice in a touring 'yak. The Fish N Dive from Cobra mentioned earlier is a barge...you can practically stand in it! Very wide and stable, easy to get in and out of, more room than any other kayak, but a bit plodding and slow.

The Scupper Pro won't fit you if you're over about 200# as the "butt-well" is very narrow. But this thing paddles like a dream.

We're very committed to more Kayak diving this winter. We made a couple of trips last year - we want to get out a lot more this year, now that we're in Drysuits.

KK

edited because I type like a damn chimp...

metridium once bubbled...
The Prowler really appeals to me.

Wonder if an LP104 or LP120 would fit in the hold?
Holy cripes that boat appeals to me :)

I was looking at the discontinued Manta but wished it had a tank well as I am too large for a Scupper Pro TW, this looks like it might fit the bill very nicely.

As far as the tanks go I talked with Ocean Kayak and they said the specs and the mold are still changing but I would assume that the tank well will be at least 24" long so with the LP120 you might have to place your BC in the well first and have the tank go upward at an angle towards the stern, and it should fit.

NITF

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom