Kayak dive on Waianae Coast Saturday

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rockjock3

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
The conditions right now look like they are holding 2-4 swell with 10 kt winds for Saturday. I am looking for individuals with kayaks that might want to go out and dive the LCU, maybe even the Mahi on Saturday. Let me know if any of you are up for it and we can figure out the details. I am also going to try and do some dive site repair for the LCU (buoy line problems) and would welcome help for that as well.

Jay

Well, unless conditions change radically in the next 48 hours (actually less than that because we should be dropping down on the Mahi in 48 hours) the dive is a go for the Kayakers. We have some sets of doubles in Shermans boat and I have 2 novice kayak divers with me who are anxiously chewing at the bit to try this new thing out. Looks to be a good adventure out there on the LCU and the Mahi.

Sounds like fun....wish I could go...Hope you get some good footage!

Looks like I'll be there... when & where?

fishb0y:
Looks like I'll be there... when & where?

Do you want to kayak? If so we are meeting at the left end of the army recreation area just before the Waianae harbor in Pokai bay. Once you drive past the little guard shack you take a left and drive down to about 10 feet past the last beach hut. I will be there no later than 0650 and we are going to aim for pushing off from the beach by 0730. I will have two newbies with me so that is why I am going to be there a little early.

Let me know to expect you or not.

Unless something comes up... I picked up my kayak today and she's still in good condition (if not a little bleached) Are you doing the LCUs?

We are doing the LCU and the Mahi. You might want to hand a tank off to Sherman. We are handing off our three second tanks of nitrox for him to bring out on the duckie. That way when we finish the LCU we can load one at a time (will help with the surface interval as the mahi is only .4 miles away) and use the zodiac as a tank changing platform. Once done we will meander over to the Mahi and dive that wreck. I'll pm my cell number so that you can call me if you run late.

update on the weather....
.SATURDAY...EAST WINDS 20 KT. WIND WAVES 7 FT. NORTHWEST SWELL
9 FT DECREASING TO 8 FT EARLY IN THE AFTERNOON. ISOLATED SHOWERS
IN THE MORNING.
.SATURDAY NIGHT...EAST WINDS 20 KT. WIND WAVES 7 FT. NORTHWEST
SWELL 8 FT. ISOLATED SHOWERS IN THE EVENING.
.SUNDAY...EAST WINDS 20 KT. WIND WAVES 7 FT. NORTHWEST SWELL 8 FT
DECREASING TO 7 FT IN THE LATE MORNING AND AFTERNOON. ISOLATED
SHOWERS IN THE MORNING.
.SUNDAY NIGHT...EAST WINDS 20 KT. WIND WAVES 8 FT. NORTHWEST
SWELL 7 FT DECREASING TO 6 FT AFTER MIDNIGHT. ISOLATED SHOWERS.
.MONDAY...EAST WINDS TO 25 KT. WIND WAVES 10 FT. NORTHWEST SWELL
6 FT. ISOLATED SHOWERS.

looks like some good swells.......as long as the wind stays down, may be doable....
plan B? Seatiger?

mrjimboalaska:
update on the weather....
.SATURDAY...EAST WINDS 20 KT. WIND WAVES 7 FT. NORTHWEST SWELL
9 FT DECREASING TO 8 FT EARLY IN THE AFTERNOON. ISOLATED SHOWERS
IN THE MORNING.
.SATURDAY NIGHT...EAST WINDS 20 KT. WIND WAVES 7 FT. NORTHWEST
SWELL 8 FT. ISOLATED SHOWERS IN THE EVENING.
.SUNDAY...EAST WINDS 20 KT. WIND WAVES 7 FT. NORTHWEST SWELL 8 FT
DECREASING TO 7 FT IN THE LATE MORNING AND AFTERNOON. ISOLATED
SHOWERS IN THE MORNING.
.SUNDAY NIGHT...EAST WINDS 20 KT. WIND WAVES 8 FT. NORTHWEST
SWELL 7 FT DECREASING TO 6 FT AFTER MIDNIGHT. ISOLATED SHOWERS.
.MONDAY...EAST WINDS TO 25 KT. WIND WAVES 10 FT. NORTHWEST SWELL
6 FT. ISOLATED SHOWERS.

looks like some good swells.......as long as the wind stays down, may be doable....
plan B? Seatiger?

Yea, we are gonna try it. Ed and I went over there to check this afternoon (supposed to be the same conditions) and it looked like very little swell coming in and there was only about 10-15kt winds. We'll see in the morn, but if it stays like it was today then it should be great.

We could do the Sea Tiger, but I think conditions are supposed to be the same as the West, so if they are bad over there they will probably have deteriorated on the south side to, but we shall have to see.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom