Kauai - uh oh, bad time for diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

L Cooper

Registered
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm usually a Honduras diver (Utila and Roatan), and so venturing to Kauai is exciting, though I feel like a total newbie! We've made last minute plans to head to Kauai - leaving in 4 days. As you all probably know, it seems like more of a surfer season than diver season right now. Hmmm.

I expect we'll do lots of land-based things, but hope to dive 1-2 days.

If you were me ("Advanced" Diver, but really with only 40 dives), where would you go for a nice day of diving, without being swept out by the crazy currents I've heard about? Anywere? Perhaps its totally weather dependent, and we need to wait & see?

Thanks in advance!

The good news is we are still diving the north shores. Real flat. Very odd. Check out "Back from da chicken Isle" here for some comments.

If you are doing a charter on kauai then you should be fine. Last time I dove out there they motored around to a few different spots to find the one with least current. Just dive the south shore (poipu) sites and you will probably be okay. Im not sure if they are doing guided shore dives on the north side or not.

That's great! Glad you are coming to the island! There is no diving on the North shore this time of year on Kauai. I spoke with two divers who tried to dive it two days ago against opinions from a local shop here and they said they made "a big mistake." We stopped diving the north shore in August. You are right - this is the surf season here - but for the north shore primarily. We are getting a small swell this week on the south side but nothing to impact dive conditions. I just walked in from a 3 tank boat trip and we had AWESOME VIS! "Zach's Pocket" 60-80ft, "Turtle bluffs" 50ft+, and "Amber's Arches" around 70-80!

You shouldnt expect currents to strong. Generally most shops here with experienced DM's avoid site with ripping currents (which are kinda rare anyway). In the many years I've dove here I've always been able to find spots without current when divers have requested it.

It is gonna be a busy end of the month though so book quickly with the shop you are going to dive with.

I bet you are going to be very happy with the diving here!

Best of island wishes
A

What will the diving be like right after the first of the year? I've read a little but haven't had much time to do any research. Hope to get a couple days in when I'm there.

First of the year should be fantastic conditions for the south shore dives. All the bug surf will be in the north shore.

SexSea!:
First of the year should be fantastic conditions for the south shore dives.

Excellent news! I'm getting excited just thinking of some warm water again. Now if I can only get my gear through the airport I'll be really happy.

Many thanks,

M

Just finished two dives with SeaSports Divers. Very nice time. 30-40 vis. Dived First Break and Sheraton. Turtles and a frogfish. It was my wife’s first dive after certification. The DM’s Holly and Mike were terrific. As for Bubbles Below, Katherine was great but Seth was a numbskull. After scheduling a dive for Friday, via a phone call, a fax follow-up and additional conformation calls after we landed on the island, he still forgot to get us on the schedule. Maybe BB will blow him out and they will be OK. But for now, I’d pass on BB.

Dave

Back
Top Bottom