Kauai in Summer... wetsuits and sites

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

uminchu

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
We'll be hitting up Kauai for about 2 weeks next summer, and plan to do some serious diving!!! Any advice on a good wetsuit to keep us comfortable? Is a 4/5 too much? With Christmas around the corner... these things are important to know, right?
Thanks
Oh, and if anyone has some great advice for dive sites for "good", not "fantastic", divers... please let me know!
Appreciate it!

I was in Maui in May '05. Dived with a 3mm, and started using my hood because I would get a little chilled by the third dive. 76 degrees.

I have made trips to Kauai several times in both the winter and summer. If you are doing several days of diving I would suggest going with the warmer suit. I personally travel with a 5mm. Depending on where you dive usually you might be fine in a 3mm - but a 4/5 or 5 will just ensure that you are toasty warm. Nothing worse than getting cold on a dive. Where you dive here on the mainland might be the determining factor. If you are a California diver you might be fine in Hawaii in a 3mm. If you are vacation/tropical diver then you may wish to have the 5mm.

You'll find as you research that the 3 main dive shops on the island all get great reviews! I've been with all 3 at one time or another. I prefer Fathom Five as they are the small family type operation of the bunch. They actually remember me and the family each year when we return which is really a good feeling. All the extra details they cover/offer to make the best of every trip really makes us always look forward to coming back. If nothing has changed they are also the only boat that only takes a maz of 6 divers. On 1 occasion in the past I was told that I would be diving with a max of 6 (with another company) and found there to be 8 divers and a DM on the boat. Not a big deal as we had a good day of diving but I do like the small Fathom groups. They also seem to go to more sites than the others. This is from very limited experience to be fair but I did repeat sites with the other companies even though I only had 2 & 3 days diving with the others.

You'll find that the experienced DM's there (Kauai) really get into critters WHICH IS AWESOME! Kauai seems to have some really unique things to see.

I suggest looking at the FathomFive.com website and sending them an email for questions. I can give you any further details if you like - just send me a PM.

I suggest divng with Len and Anthony with Fathom Five. They are really great. Len is a really wonderful Captain and I think he has been there for like 20 years! Anthony has a real eye for octopus and other hard to find critters you might otherwise overlook. He is one of those guides that you can really see having a love of diving

I don't know much of the crew on the other boats as there has been much turnover but Seasport divers has a great captain by the name of Andrew that has also been great to us when we havent gotten out with Fathom Five. He also dives from time to time and has taken us on some fun trips.

Zack's Pocket, Turtle bluffs and Cargo nets are some of my favorite dives. Sheraton Caves is also a favorite that you must see.

RP

for temps at least I think that you will find average water temps are in the 76-78, and air temps about 70-85. Offshore temps can drop a little, but mostly its the wind chill. For me, I was using a 3mm shorty but always found myself getting cold after a long dive. I switched to a 3mm full suit from Pinnacle with Merino lining (Seal) and never got cold again. I know a couple of people that got cold easier than I that wore either a 5mm full or a 5mm Jacket (the upper part of a farmer john/jacket).

I would highly recommend getting a pair of neoprene gloves, they will greatly help you stay nice and comfortable

Wow... thanks for all the advice! Looks like it's going to be a great trip. I'm have little concern that the dive sites will be boring. My wife hasn't dove in a while so i want to keep it comfortable... as for me... anytime i'm in the water i'm happy!
Now i just have to convince someone to get me a wetsuit (SANTA?)

I have gone with Bubbles Below and really enjoyed the experience. Linda knows more about the local sea life than I thought possible. Getting a boat out to Niihau is a really special experience.

Niihau sounds amazing... but like it might be a little too much... I'm a pretty confident AOW, is that enough? I haven't done too many dives with strong currents... And my wife is a good diver, but can get a little nervous from time to time...

I'm a N Cal diver who went with Bubbles Below last August for three days. Linda and her DMs do know their wildlife, and I had a good experience with them. Next time I might try Fathom Five for variety and because I would probably rent tanks from them for shore diving, which I didn't do last trip.

I wore a 5/4 full suit with a 5mm hooded vest (I like hoods) and was a little warm on the occasion that I had to work a little. Otherwise, it was just fine. I'd probably do OK with a 3mm suit and hood, but the 5/4 was not overkill.

Kauai diving is a lot of things but it is not boring.

Fantastic!!! I can't wait to get there! I didn't mean to insinuate that the diving would be boring... I just sort of heard go to the Big Island, or wrecks off of Oahu... i don't mind what i see as long as i'm wet! We already have all the flights booked and accommodation so we are GOING TO KAUAI... we chose it because we thought it sounded and looked wonderful!
thanks again for the company info!

Back
Top Bottom