Kauai in late August

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Krisher

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I'll be heading to Kauai in late August and was wondering if I can get some tips. We'll be staying in Poipu, but will have a vehicle if I need to travel.

I'm looking for a good dive op and a "must do" dive list. Can be boat dive/shore dive, doesn't matter. I love sea life, wrecks and underwater topography. I'm an advanced diver so I'm certified to do most dives.

Also, what's the average water temp for that time of year? And if you know of any good snorkel spots for my non certified companions.

Thanks so much.

diveops - both near Poipu

Seasport Divers
Fathom Five

boat dives

Ni'ihau - Vertical Awareness
Sheraton Caverns
Brennecke's Ledge

shore dives

Koloa Landing
Tunnels on the North Side - with Fathom Five. Go with their guide. http://www.fathomfive.com/sites.html

IDK of any wrecks. Poipu Beach park for snorkeling. It's really very good, lots of small fish - there was a monk seal sunning herself in a protected area nearby.

I used Seasport's descriptions because I had their site bookmarked. Also I've dove with them. Fathom Five also gets good reviews.

Aloha!
Excited for you and your summer trip! August generally has awesome diving and it is a GREAT time of year to be here. Curious if you are an active So.Cal diver? That tells me a little more about your experience level and can help me suggest dives for you.

You'll be minutes away from the number one shore diving location on the island - Koloa Landing. It doesnt have a beach but also has good summer snorkeling. It is also a great spot for a Discover Scuba experience if any of the folks with you want to try diving. The site is great for Hawaiian Green Sea Turtles, Dragon Morays, Endemic Lionfish, Octopus etc... It's a protected cove (from the winds) and is a non boating zone. The depth is typically 15-45 ft.

The "must do" for experienced divers is without a doubt the "Forbidden Island of Niihau." It is without a doubt some of the very best diving in all of Hawaii. First and foremost it sets you up with almost certain encounters with the endangered Hawaiian Monk Seals. It is also very common to see pelagics such as Mantas, Eagle Rays, Tuna etc... Sharks are common as well (Whitetips, Grays, and Galapagos sharks commonly - Occasional Hammerheads, Tigers, and even Whale Sharks). Large lava tubes and walls - steep vertical drops to 90-250 feet on some of the sites. Depths are usually in the 50-80ft range with brief drops to 90-110 for rare marine critters. Crossings to Niihau often include viewing of False Killer Whales, Pilot Whales, Dolphins (Spinner, Bottlenose, Spotted) etc...
Niihau is an all day run doing 3 tanks that is always an vacation highlight!

Locally there are about 16 different sites within 20- minutes of the Poipu harbor. Deeper sites allow for viewing of our Whitetip Reef Sharks, larger Yellowmargin Morays, deep water Pyramid and Pennant Butterfly fish and occasional pelagics. Diving the Hawaiian islands you'll see that it is not a "fishy" destination - but we do have more endemic fish than any other location in the world. Kauai also shares some rare critters with the northwest Hawaiian islands that can seldom be seen on the other islands. Bandit Angels are common for example. Morwongs, Boarfish and knifejaws are other great examples.

Sheraton Caverns is the number one Green Sea Turtle dive on the south shore. It is a 30-65 foot lava tube dive loaded with cool critters like Leaf Scorpion fish and Nudibranchs. Turtle Blufffs and Zac's Pocket are two of the favorite sites for DM's on the island.

Temps will likely be approaching or at 78-79 degrees. No true thermoclines at depth.

Snorkeling is great at 1.Poipu Beach 2. Lawai Beach 3. PK's. Stop in the SeaSports shop and get a free snorkel map for these spots if you like.

I have been here diving professionally for over 12 years and have worked with all three primary shops on the island. If there is anything I can do to help you with planning / information etc. just let me know.

Have a great rest of your week and drop me a PM if you have any questions...

Anthony

Thank you for all the great advice.

To answer your question, I do dive Souther California, but I'm definitely in favor of warm water diving. I'm a certified advance diver and have dove the stacks in San Diego, the kelp beds in Catalina and an oil rig off long beach. (not to mention numerous shore dives)

:popcorn: We are headed there in Feb.... Starting to look at diving options now. But I will be partially limited to a max of 40 ft for half my dives (diving with a kid), the other half, I will do with my husband so we can go where we want!:popcorn:

I understand most of the diving is out of the south side. We're staying in Princeville the week of May 22 nd through the 30thp and going to Poipu for the last three days. Are most of the dive ops about an hour away from where we will be staying? I'm going to book a north shore tunnels dive with Fathom Five for sure. Any other suggestions?

I'mlooking for a fishing chparter and/or a snorkel dinner cruise since we will have two non divers with us. I appreciate any suggestions, especially from locals.

:popcorn: We are headed there in Feb.... Starting to look at diving options now. But I will be partially limited to a max of 40 ft for half my dives (diving with a kid), the other half, I will do with my husband so we can go where we want!:popcorn:
Besides Koloa Landing, parts of Sheraton Caverns are around 20'. Check with Seasport also, they do resort course dives on their afternoon trip so go to sites where there's something to see above 40'. Nukomoi(sp) Point is one that starts fairly shallow.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom