Kauai Help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Brandon

Shop Independent Diver
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
We just received news that Maui is finally deciding to act against "illegal" unpermitted vacation rentals and had our monthlong rental contract for February cancelled. Disappointing as this news was, I'm glad to see they're doing something to bring some relief to the local housing situation.

So, little change of plans. We can't stay at our favorite vacation rental on Maui anymore, but still want to visit our friends on the island and hit some of our favorite restaurants. We've decided to split our vacation between Maui and Kauai, staying 1 week in Kihei and 3 in Hanalei.

So, knowing nothing about Kauai...

• Can someone point me to a good rental car agency, and throw out some restaurant recommendations?
  • Is shore diving on the north side possible in February, or is it too rough like Maui's north shore?
  • What's the closest boat operator to Hanalei? I found Fathom Five, but don't fancy the hour and a half drive to the south side if I can help it.
Thanks for your help!

-Brandon.

Kauai will be rough in February. There will be diving, but it will be limited, and no one will run trips to Niihau. I have dove with Bubbles Below out of Kauai and it was a great experience.

That's what I thought, I'm not super worried about it. I'm planning on banging out 5 or 6 days of solid diving in Maui before we head over there, so the Kauai stuff is kind of a bonus.

From what I've read, the south coast of Kauai is reasonably diveable during that time, and on a good day there may be some north shore options... that sound accurate?

February isn't going to come soon enough...

-B.

I've dove over on Kauai for years and often made the trip in the winter time. The south shore is the only option in Feb but the diving I have experienced has been truely great! I usually go with Fathom Five and think they do a really great job. Plus they rinse, clean and store my gear which is great for the multi day pkgs they offer. They south side is actually pretty calm that time of year partially due to the absence of south swells. Twice (although I am told I am really lucky) I have seen humpback whales with Fathom - once in Feb and one in March. Yup, that's underwater! One at a site I think they call "cargo net" and the other was Turtle Bluffs. Feb is an awesome time for whales on any island. It seems all the dive shops run pretty darn good trips and they always seem to get along well - which isnt always the case I find. Go with Anthony and Len with Fathom if you get the chance. They do a really great job. Andy and Hans have been at Seasports for a long time and they took really good care of me on a recent trip to Niihau. Fathom wasnt running this season (to Niihau) and they suggested I go with those guys. Good comments were made both ways between the two shops.

My favorite dives on Kauai - Bluffs, Zack's pockets, General store and Tortugas.

You'll be happy to have short runs to a bunch of great sites by going to one of Poipu sites. I did make a trip a few years back with an operator out of Port Allan further west. We took a 30min trip in rough seas just to join dive boats I had already dove with Seasports and Fathom five. The crew was great and very organized but half the boat got sick.... and "oops!" we still had the long run back to the west side. Probably rare that I had that experience - but I sure love Poipu and the willingness/practice of the boats returning to the harbor when things are rough.

Anyway - good luck to you. Maui dives sure rock as well. Molokini back wall is a must do. If you go to Lanai on one of your trips do 2nd cathedral over 1st.

best RP

REFLECTIONPOOL:
Maui dives sure rock as well. Molokini back wall is a must do. If you go to Lanai on one of your trips do 2nd cathedral over 1st.

Yep, done those =) This will be 4th time to Maui, but our first to Kauai. I've done a lot of boat diving in Maui, but am going to focus on shore diving for the week we're there.

Any shore diving or restaurant recommendations for Kauai? Thanks for the other info!

-B

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom