Kauai diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

marpac

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
other than diving sheraton caverns what other sites are good shore dives while there.

also plan on taking other non diving members of the family on novice snorkling dives
any suggestions would be appreciated

thanks in advance :)

I'd like to hear other members stories of shore diving Sheraton Caverns. As I remember it, with less than 24 dives very few divers, even local divers, would venture that far off shore.

Koloa landing. From the surface it's pretty ugly--walk down a carpeted boat ramp. Underwater is fabulous. And it's is really shallow so good for snorkeling too. I think our max depth on 2 dives was 28 feet, if that. It's easily diveable on your own. But, if you really want to find all the coolest critters (dragon eels, red lionfish, green lionfish, more dragon eels) take a guided dive. Think of it as having a tour guide in a new city. We used Aquatic Adventures (http://www.aascuba.com/)right down the street from Koloa and had terrific dives. If we'd gone in the summer months we would have loved to try Tunnels up north.

here's a picture of a dragon eel.

Attachments

• IMG_2399 copy.jpg
    IMG_2399 copy.jpg
    410.3 KB · Views: 163
I'd like to hear other members stories of shore diving Sheraton Caverns. As I remember it, with less than 24 dives very few divers, even local divers, would venture that far off shore.

Shore diving at sheraton caverns is NOT A GOOD IDEA. It is a cool dive but only do it by boat.

I saw one couple try to swim out there a bout 2 years ago. She left him about half way into the swim and came back to shore. She was pi$$ed. Stomping around and looking all violated and upset saying how stupid he was.I never saw them together after that I think they got divorced.

Tunnels can be a phenomenal dive spot (guided tour) with lava tubes and the occasional reef shark thrown in for good measure :wink:

A DM told me they regularly send rescue boats out to pick up people who thought they could shore dive Sheraton Caverns.

Sorry to everyone that responded I agree we were not planing to shore dive sheraton caverns we are going to dive there but via seasport divers.
What I was looking for are suggestions for shore dives that are also easy dives for non divers in the family (snorkle only).
thanks
aloha

The best spots were previously mentioned: Tunnels in the North and Koloa Landing in the South. Koloa is easily done by yourself. Tunnels I would definitely use Jeanette Thompson at Fathom Five who has dived there more than anyone else on the planet. Don't dive there forthe first timeby yourself, you will either get lost or not enjoy yourself. For snorkeling I also recommend Pali Ke Kua (Princeville, go early, park next to the tennis courts near the Princeville entrance and hike down) and Ke'e (end of the road on the North Shore). In front of the Lawai condos (south shore, on the way to the boat harbor) is also pretty good, but not as good as the others previously mentioned.

You will enjoy the Caverns at Sheraton Seasports is also a great company!, here is the run down on the shore:

Koloa Landing- Great depending on the day if you are coming in Summer watch out for the high surf that comes in. Also if it rains viz will definitely drop. You can opt to do it yourself, but I also recommend to go for the guided tour. Check Padi.com for various Dive Resorts and Centers to be sure you are going out with a legit operation and professionals that are insured. Also check safety records knowledge is power!

Tunnels- One of my favorites but truthfully it is a geological dive more than a fish dive. Also you want to dive at the earliest time available. No one is allowed to set up before 7:30am (out of respect for the locals that live on the path that we set up around). It is a butt burner as well with the sand. At Koloa it has the rocks which make it easier and the ramp. This is absolutely a guided tour. Lots of dive operations to choose from once again I reccommend to use PADI to find dive centers and call around before chosing to find the best company that suits the needs of your group.

Also my personal opinion on the snorkeling: Don't buy into the guided tours (IMO again) I think it is a waste of money unless you have someone who has no water experience, can't swim or other physical restrictions. Your family can safely snorkel at both Koloa Landing and Tunnels without paying someone $75.

Either way enjoy your vacation on Kauai, IM me if you have any q's!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom