Kauai Diving Late October

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dgcohen

New
Reaction score
My wife and I will be traveling at the end of October to Kauai and staying near the Princeville. We've got 100+ dives under our belts, but mostly in the Caribbean with great viz and calm seas, i.e. we haven't been challenged to use underwater navigation skills too much. We will definitely be doing some shore diving, so any recommendations would be appreciated, especially those locations suitable for the time of year we'll be there (I hear tunnels is probably out). We may consider a boat dive or two, but we both hate small boats. Can anyone recommend a dive operation with larger boats?

Finally, any restaurant recommendations would be great, especially those off the beaten path or outside the resorts.

Regards

Dave

For restaurants, and all other things, for sure get the Kauai Revealed book. 'Nuff said.

I can't give you a dive op recommendation, as I prefer, by far, small boats and loved my time with Fathom Five in Old Koloa Town. Maximum of six divers with a skilled and knowledgeable divemaster is my preference.

Kaola landing is a great shore dive... Easy entry with a small kick out. I alway here of lots of cool critters. Kind of a drive from the princeville though.

I think the Lanai at the Princeville Hotel is one of the most stunning places to watch the sunset that I've seen in Hawaii. Never had dinner there just some pupu's. If the sun is setting in the right place it's amazing in my personal opinion.

For boat dives I highly suggest Bubbles below. Moderate size boats 8-10pax. They truly love what they do... DM Joe is a wealth of knowledge and I promise you, you will learn alot...

Enjoy & aloha....

Aloha...

Tunnels is likely out on the north shore and you will probably find that the only diving you will be able to do is on the south side. As mentioned in a previous reply - Koloa Landing is a great spot with Dragon morays, harlequin shrimp, and typically a frogfish as highlights. The turtles frequent the site in early morning and late afternoon. You can expect to see at least 3-4 different species of eels per dive, octopus, endemic butterfly fish, endemic bandit angels, banded coral shrimp, trumpet fish, green lionfish etc... on any given dive. You can do 3-4 tanks on this site without seeing the entire area if you like to move slowly. Occasional visits are made by eagle rays in the fall as well. It is in the 20-45ft range and is also a no boating zone which makes it user friendly. Consider a dive with a local dm to get your bearings and see the highlights that may be overlooked prior to hitting it on you own. When booking I would also look into an experienced guide. The reality is that many new dm's start off at the landing when coming to Kauai and may not have quite the extent of knowledge just yet. Additionally, many divers come into our shop or onto our boat with stories of dm's pulling octpus out of holes and handling every creature in site! A site I am sure as experienced divers you would likely wanted to be spared.

The three boat companies are Fathom Five and Sea Sports out of Koloa/Poipu and Bubbles Below out of Ele Ele. At Fathom we have one small boat and then one larger boat both carrying 6 divers. Sea Sports is similiar with one smaller vessel and one larger (the largest of the dive boats on South Kauai). You can see the boats online for both of our companies I believe.

If you have any other questions please feel free to fire away.
Best of wishes from the island
A

Aloha, Dave!

I have to second the posts regarding Koloa Landing. You can definitely rent tanks and do that site on your own as it is an easy-to-navigate dive site. Having said that, I strongly recommend at least one guided tour there before venturing off on your own as an experienced dm will know where all the cool critters are hiding and will be able to point them out to you for your viewing (not touching) pleasure. I've always found that a guided tour really enhances the future self-guided diving you'll be doing. And, you can do multiple tanks there w/o getting too repetitive - it's a great, easy night dive site as well! I'd like to plug myself as your guide for shore diving (I work for Aquatic Adventures in Poipu) or if you and your wife just want to rent, stop in and I'll be happy to draw you a map with my favorite sites, directions, and highlights included to go with your tanks.

Okay, so here are my favorite restaurants: Hanalei Gourmet on the north shore, Kauai Pasta in Kapaa or Lihue, Kalaheo Cafe and Brick Oven Pizza are both in Kalaheo and if you want a mean prime rib, the Poipu Beach Broiler in Poipu which just happens to be located directly above the dive shop I work at. Happy diving and happy eating to you!

My girlfriend and I will be in Kauai Sept 29-Oct 2. We would like to do a couple days of diving. I was thinking a boat dive day and a shore dive day.

Koloa Landing sounds like a nice spot for the shore dive. Ni’ihau sounds like a great boat dive but I've read it's only for advanced divers. We are both only open water divers and my girlfriend just got certified a couple weeks ago so I don't know if we could do that one. I've also heard good things about Sheraton Caverns.

Is it best to book everything early or just play it by ear when we get down there?

My girlfriend and I will be in Kauai Sept 29-Oct 2. We would like to do a couple days of diving. I was thinking a boat dive day and a shore dive day.

Koloa Landing sounds like a nice spot for the shore dive. Ni’ihau sounds like a great boat dive but I've read it's only for advanced divers. We are both only open water divers and my girlfriend just got certified a couple weeks ago so I don't know if we could do that one. I've also heard good things about Sheraton Caverns.

Is it best to book everything early or just play it by ear when we get down there?

I get there on the 29th as well but get to stay until the 10th, I have been doing my homework and Ni'ihu is pretty much out unless there is a miracle stretch of weather, all the ops said mid sept was going to be it. I'm going to do a day of boat diving with fathom 5, and 2 days of shore diving with aascubagirl's shop. Probably best to take your GF to something easy like Koloa landing.

I get there on the 29th as well but get to stay until the 10th, I have been doing my homework and Ni'ihu is pretty much out unless there is a miracle stretch of weather, all the ops said mid sept was going to be it. I'm going to do a day of boat diving with fathom 5, and 2 days of shore diving with aascubagirl's shop. Probably best to take your GF to something easy like Koloa landing.

I think we will do about the same but with one day shore diving. Should we do the Koloa landing dive first?

Also, should we rent a car while on Kauai?

I think we will do about the same but with one day shore diving. Should we do the Koloa landing dive first?
IMO yes, it would make for a good introduction to the island as well as a tune up if yo haven't been in the water for a bit.

Also, should we rent a car while on Kauai?
Where are you staying? IMO there's too much to see / do on Kauai to not have a car! and really no other practical way to get around.

Jim, I will say that Leah's people are really terrific! I hope you get to dive with Mercedes, she is one outstanding diver.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom