Kauai Dive Instructor has leg cut off by boat propeller

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chepar

Contributor
Reaction score
I read an article about this in the paper yesterday - and found this update online this morning (hope the link works, never tried to do this before):

http://starbulletin.com/2004/07/23/news/index3.html

WOW! :11: I'm just kind of wondering if the divers had a dive flag flying from the boat (as a commercial operator, I'm sure they did) and if so, how far the divers were from the boat. Two were not certified, so I doubt they were that far.

Dear God, that is sad.................

How scary is that? Best of luck and prayers to everyone.

Indeed a tragic incident.
I am most interested in the results of any investigation that may result. I'm sure the USCG will be involved as respects the Captains License's of both boat captains. No doubt many questions will need answering:
How close was the perpetrator boat to the dive boat, which hopefully and likely was flying a dive flag?
How far were the divers from their boat?

My family extends our thoughts and prayers,

-Grier

Ive seen (and heard) a diver roll off a boat only to be hit by its props.

Its not a nice experience.

String:
Ive seen (and heard) a diver roll off a boat only to be hit by its props.

Its not a nice experience.

I don't expect that it would be.

Unless the boat is moving fairly quickly, and the diver is a military diver on a mission, the engines should always be either shut down or the drive in neutral before anyone exits or tries to gain entry to a dive boat.

I always look at the props before I get close to a dive boat when trying to go aboard just to make sure. When I exit, I listen for the engines, if they aren't shut down, I look for the drive levers. It may not be fail safe, but I do look.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom