Kauai April 3rd - 11th. Dive shop recommendations & water temps?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

master_diver_UJ

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Good morning.

I'll be in Kauai April 3rd - 11th for a work trip & I want to fit in as much diving as I can.

Anyone care to recommend a dive shop in the Poipu area?

Also, what are the water temps there now - gotta figure out which wetsuit to bring.

Thanks !

John

Explore is in Waimea which is about 20? mins. west of Poipu. Might be a factor in your scheduling.

Two Poipu area shops are Fathom Five or Seasport Divers. Both actually in Koloa nearby. Both do boat dives out of a harbor near Poipu and since you're trying to fit dives around a work schedule might work out better.

Koloa Landing nearby is probably the 2nd best shore dive on Kauai also. Both offer guided shore dives there every? day if you have the opportunity. Tunnels being the first but it's all the way on the north side.

Both do a single tank afternoon dive - FF also does 2 twilight dives on demand. Each also do night dives once? a week.

if your event is at the Sheraton - so is: Kauai Down Under Scuba Team! IDK anything about them except they dive from a RIB.

Locally Sheraton Caverns is the close boat dive. From the Sheraton you can actually see the boats there but it's too far to swim and the current fights you swimming back in - people have been rescued there. And a really decent dive, a series of collapsed lava tubes inhabited by huge green sea turtles. FF dives it Thursday night. But really none of the more commonly dove sites are very far away. i liked Fast Lanes - it's fairly close also.

Temperature? Physical Oceanography - NOAA Tides & Currents - Nawiliwili is the cruise port on the east side nearby.

Bring a light - even during the day. If you swim thru an un-colllapsed lava tube - there are several nearby - shine it on the ceiling and see what moves - often it's an octo.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies, Skeptic & Steve. My event is being held at the Grand Hyatt Kauai, which is why I referenced Poipu. I've exchanged emails with both Seasport & Fathom Five - they both seem fine.

I've never seen that NOAA page before Steve - that's pretty slick ! You're right about bringing a light - I always do !

Thanks !

John

Mahalo Skeptic! I had a blast with you!

Our boat does leave out of Waimea side of the island, about a 20-25 minute drive. This does rule us out a lot for convenience of people staying in the poipu area when there's 2 great shops just down the street! However we are getting to dive less commonly visited sites and always searching for new ones. We are also the closest to Mana Crack/Na Pali Coast and Niihau. So a 20/25 minute car ride is definitely worth it when we can cut the "adventurous" boat travel time in half. Also, only running a 6 passenger max boat is always nice for passengers...AND crew!!!

We are a smaller shop finishing up our 2nd year in business. Our drive and passion is alive and thriving!!! We will cater to individual needs and will bend the "minimum passenger" rules when the boat isn't full. We just love to dive and meet divers from all corners!

Regardless of the shop you choose I highly suggest Koloa Landing was a shore dive. I've been diving here well over 15 years and still dive there on my days off. While super rare ... we actually had a surprise visit from a Galapagos shark there in the afternoon yesterday! Few spots on the island can rival the critters that you will find there and your max depth is 45ft (averages around 25-30 generally). We had 2 octopus, juvenile and adult endemic green lion fish, turtles, several species of eels, horned helmet shells, frogfish, RARE squat anemone crabs, mantis shrimp, endemic freckled snake eels ... amazing. It's a protected bay with "relatively easy" entry and exit and has restroom facilities there. Parking is also much easier than on the north shore.

Most companies offer multiple day discounts of some sort as well. You can likely combine your shore and boat activities.

I'd suggest that any boat diving be done in the am as afternoon trips can be limited in dive site selection due to winds that come up in the early afternoon.

I think you'll find that all the operations here are very professional and have similiar styles and programs.

If you have any specific questions diving or otherwise please feel free to send me a personal message on the board and I would be happy to help you out anyway that I can.

Have a fantastic time planning your trip and a great weekend.
A

You both know he was there April 2017 right....:)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom