Kauai accident

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Divemaster had two intros out on Koloa Landing - Last I heard (just heard) woman is still in coma

69 years old and beginning to learn how to dive? That is quite amazing. I hope I am still able to lug a 50 cu ft tank at that age. Hope the best for her and her family.

I was diving in Kauai last week and was told the rest of the story. She is fine and out of the hospital. Per the instructor I was diving with, she was not diving his shop but was at the Landing that day. When filling out her medical she did not report being on certain meds and that she was in treatment for certain mental health issues. While diving she panicked and rushed to the surface. At the surface she struggled and EMS was called. She was alert when she was sent to the hospital. At the hospital she responded negatively to her treatment (from what I heard it did not involve a chamber but due to the meds that were not disclosed). She has been released from the hospital and has returned home. The dive instructors have been cleared and were out diving last week when I was in the water.

Hey bus driver who was the instructor you talked to? Because they missed informed you The lady has passed away! she was in a coma for about a week then after the family arrived they took her off of life support. Needless to say she did'nt make it!

The lady has passed away!

That would truly mean that I was misinformed. The instructor was with Fathom Five (I will leave it at that). Wow. Not the same ending (at all) to what I was told. Sucks. I prefer my ending. Was any of the other info. correct (i.e. med, mental illness, etc.)?

It might be two separate incidences, unrelated to each other. I'll bet many, many people chose to save a few bucks by checking all "no's" on your questionaire to save a trip to the family doctor.

No, it is the same incident. I assure you! and to answer your bet on people checking all No's, I would say that does happen sometimes, but the truth of the matter is they do not have to go see a doctor here to get signed off. They have doctors on the mainland that are completely aware of their situation and all it takes is a simple fax to the mainland and problem is solved.

Now to elaborate, What if a client Put's all No's and clearly has a yes that you can see and observe from looking at and talking to the person. What would you do?

I would bring it to their attention that that was a question on the medical form. If diver didn't really read and just checked off then I would allow them to get a Dr. release before they were allowed to continue. If the person knew that they had falsely answered the form then I would not do any business with the person even if they were to obtain a release (could this release be trusted?).

Have them sign this form:

LARGE PRINT:
DIVING IS A DANGEROUS ACTIVITY AND I PLAN ON DOING TODAY, REGARDLESS OF THE ACCEPTED RULES AND GUIDELINES.

Small Print:
I recognize and acknowledge that I have not been honest filling out my medical information form. Attested by my signature below I realize and understand that diving today may very well end up severely injuring and or killing me. I also attest that I or any of my relatives, successors or the neighbor down the street will hold the instructor responsible for my death, injuries or stupidity.

Customer Signature.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom