Katana 2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Here's what I did, small bit of bungee thru a serrated slide. Tension can be adjusted by moving the slide. (pay no attention to the inflation bottle, my buddies are A%%40les)View attachment 631173

And here is how it sits whilst diving:

View attachment 631174

I bought my rig from Cave Adventurers, it looks like they may have already done this for me, but instead of the bungee running through the tri-glide itself (it looks that way in your picture), they ran the bungee through the loop of webbing that the tri-glide creates.

Attachments

• 20201218_124219.jpg
    20201218_124219.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 263
I bought my rig from Cave Adventurers, it looks like they may have already done this for me, but instead of the bungee running through the tri-glide itself (it looks that way in your picture), they ran the bungee through the loop of webbing that the tri-glide creates.

Mine is run the same way, it just looks strange in the picture.

ETA: Apparently that's how it came from the factory. I ripped the QFS off of mine within about 30 minutes of having my K2 home, I forgot that's how it was originally rigged; I got my eyes on a new one in the shop today and it is the same. I would definitely suggest you pull the tensioning bungee down really tight.

That is the way a new "out of the box" K2 is delivered.

Oops...should have read further. @lostsheep mentions that already...

Thank you for the kind words.

I feel obligated to disclose that I do not get credit for the idea; I first saw the idea via Sump UK's facebook page. They have since revised their design but I prefer this style.

This design, i.e., specific geometry was CAD'd by me and fabricated in my personal machine shop for me and a fellow SM buddy.

FWIW, it was not designed for the Katana but it was extremely easy to incorporate it. Having the two lower attachments on one plate radically increases torsional rigidity of the system and I prefer it.

Here's rough dimensions:View attachment 567830

How thick did you make this plate?

Any updates from the folks that have been using K2 for while now on their feedback and any regrets or extra satisfaction with it please? Compared with the stealth?

First and foremost, it’s a great wing and I have no regrets about buying it.

The lower dump is hard to find; I can get it but it’s not in a good location.

I wish they would make the shoulder dump swappable from left to right. When I have my Choptima on there the left side gets real busy; moving it to the right side would be very helpful. I asked Hollis and they won’t sell that sleeve so I made my own version; mine is now ambi.

EDIT: my ghetto rigged right side dump. It was made with the random stuff in my shop; I should probably revisit it at some point but there's no more permanent solution than a temporary solution.

IMG_5699.jpg

The reinforcing plate on mine has started to wear out / through the lower shell area on the wing, I’ll try and snap a pic.

EDIT: you can see the white line where the plate is wearing the fabric. Hasn't broken through but it will at some point.

IMG_5698.jpg

I’ve never cared for the QFS but if you read this thread you already see that.

I’d be happier if the wing could be completely separated from the harness without cutting stuff. It would be nice to be able to adapt the wing to whatever harness one prefers. I like tinkering and I like modularity.

The lower wing attachment benefits from being tightened up but that’s a trivial addition you can do yourself.

The crotch strap material is too slippery ; even a serrated tri glide slips occasionally.

I’d like to see some thought given to providing an integrated canister mount; I have solutions but why not add it from the factory?

EDIT: This is my currently preferred holder for the cannister, it's simple and easily removable when I don't need the canister.

IMG_5700.jpg
IMG_5701.jpg

Bottom line for me is I do think it’s the best SM harness / wing currently available , at least for the next couple of months 😉

Any updates from the folks that have been using K2 for while now on their feedback and any regrets or extra satisfaction with it please? Compared with the stealth?

Just started using the K2 and I love it so far…can’t compare it to the stealth, but it’s much better than the Nomad LS I started with since I use 2 LP85’s. I think the LS would be fine with AL cylinders but it beachballs a bit with steels. Anyway, the K2 fits snug like a glove on both my wife and I. I do like how’s it’s adjustable for pretty much everyone, BUT like lostsheep said, the QFS is a bit bulky/clunky and could be streamlined. So I’m looking for solutions to eliminate it, lostsheep posted some pics earlier in the thread you might like.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom