Karik 'Freedom'

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Big Toes

Contributor
Reaction score
hey all;

i bought a karik 'freedom' light a couple of months ago and with a bunch of dives on it now am having some real problems. specifically, it's advertised at 3500 lumen with a 5 hour burn time but in reality this is nowhere near true. it powers up nice and bright (not sure if it's 3500 lumen, but i'm happy with it). this will run, if i'm lucky, about :30 before powering down. not off, but down to a substantially lower level. and when i say 'substantially', i mean 'non-useful' type of substantial. to the point where i need to carry a second light :(

what i have done: tossed the stock, sucky ultrafire batteries (18650's) and replaced them with good orbtronic units. still, same problem. I've also tried running this in an ice bath and this will actually give me over an hour of run time. so my guess is that it's overheating....

and last but not least, if i turn the light off for about :20 or so it will come back up to full power. so again, i'm guessing it's something to do with heat dissipation.

so i'd appreciate any and all advice anybody has on this issue. all of my emails and attempted to the mfg. go to either a dead phone number or are ignored (email).

thanks in advance,

-erik

It is my understanding after wanting to buy a Karik light that the company is now out of business??? From all that I read, I sure am glad I didn't make a purchase with them either way.

Karik is gone. Their lights were cheap Chinese crap that were listed with totally overrated specs.

re. Karik Freedom

it sounds like there is a thermal management circuit. This is a good thing in the sense that it's protecting your components from burning up. But ideally it would drop down to a usable level.

Now I assume your doing these tests not u/w (i.e. underwater)?

What is the capacity of your 18650 Orbtronics? 3100mAh? 3400mAh? In a general sense the higher the capacity the longer runtimes.

Here's the bad news... you might want to sit down, because I see what Karik is charging for the Freedom light.
This light is made by Dyshineway. It can be had for about $175 shipped - I got this price from Byron Chen (1 Jan 2014).
this is your light Dyshineway DY-D03

Anyways, if your light is doing this step-down while diving you should see about sending your light back to Dyshineway (DY). That's what I would do.

In our last conversation Byron said the DY lights had a 1yr warranty.

I was thinking the same thing, MRT. A lot of lights will do that in air without the cooling effects of being submerged. Was this a submerged test?

I actually got sucked into carrying them for a few months. They fed a good line to prospective dealers about how they designed the lights, had them made, and even that they were made in the US. I only sold a couple of the smaller back ups and got lucky in that they seemed to be ok. One had a problem and they did take care of it before they went out of business or went somewhere. Then I got warned off of them in a personal sense by someone I trust implicitly and dumped them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom