Karate

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scowens

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi all,

I'm enrolled in a Karate class, and am courious if any one else has enrolled for the benifit of scuba? I've heard that Shek Excley and Tom Mount were/are. What benifit have you seen, or what did you expect and did not get?

Thanks
Steve

i am active in kenpo and have been for 6 years, the benefits of the physical exercise are the best and help you with your indurence, i think you will find it a good way to stay in shape. what style are you going for? good luck and enjoy!!

I'm in D.K.I.'s school, Ryukyu Kempo - pretty neat stuff! My 8 yr. old daughter and I take the class together. One of the other reasons to take the class was that I figured it would be embarrasing to be beat up by an 8 yr. old....

We've only been in for about 4-5 months, so we are just white belts, but we're practicing....

i've been doin martial arts since i was a kid, :karate: i definitly feel that it helps you relax, and think about/control your movements underwater. My instructor asked me after my first pool session whether i did martial arts or not cos he thought my movements were fluid underwater...So i say it definitly helps.

SF

My husband has been involved in martial arts for over 20 yrs now, and has a Kenpo school. We've been married almost 26 yrs., and I've watched him change so much as a result of his training and love for the arts. He's still himself- but enhanced. I would recommend it to anyone who is interested, and feel that the benefits/skills parallel a great many of the skills needed/learned in diving. BTW, my husband just won his 4th State Championship title out of the past 3 yrs. in executive Black Belt kata in the Amateur Org. of Karate in Texas. Out of 11 students that qualified for state, they brought home 7 gold medals, 2 silver, and 2 bronze. (Sorry, just had to brag- I'm very proud of him and his team- he's a great instructor.)

Benefits:
#1 is confidence. (My husband didn't have the nerve to play charades with us, while dating- now, he can easily speak over a loud-speaker to 1,000 people- amazing)
Health (Flexibility, strength, cardiovascular, balance, endurance, well-being, energy level (and nice buns from all those kicks!)
Body awareness- position, ability to multi-task
Self-discipline and control/ less anger and smaller tendency to panic
Goals, commitment and follow-through
Great friendships/fellowship
Ability to be a good buddy (try being an upper belt, and sparring a newcomer with no control- a little helpful guidance and understanding attitude go a long way!)
Each style of training has something of value to offer - as do most individual instructors

Another thing about martial arts, is that whether you stick with it long enough to become a black belt, or not- you will have learned something valuable. You will have learned more about yourself, and what you are capable of. You will have made friends, and shared good times. Not all of us are supposed to be the instructor.

Which, by the way- 5 months to be a white belt is a great sign that your instructor is not running a "belt factory". Beware of the school that promises quick promotions in return for receiving required fees. Every person should proceed at his/her own pace, and be judged individually. If you call a martial arts school, and they tell you over the phone that you will be a black belt in "x" amount of time, draw a big X on their name.

See the similarities? Each activity will greatly enhance the other. Have a great time, and ki-yah!

Foo (white belt in cardio-kickboxing- heh)

I started doing Taijiquan at the end of September 2004 and have gained a lot of benefits from it, some of which help with scuba. Fitness, focus, balance, strength, patience and most of all, a new spatial awareness of myself and the area around me. Plus, my shrfu's wisdom is worth the price of admission too :) I just passed my white belt test recently too, so I'm just getting started as well.

-Frank

Ditto on the above.

I'm a Ninjutsu girl myself, which would help in the unlikely event that I'm in a knife-fight underwater....

opiniongirl:
Ditto on the above.

I'm a Ninjutsu girl myself, which would help in the unlikely event that I'm in a knife-fight underwater....

gotta love the ninjutsu...did it for years until my instructor became a ...well i wont say it on the family board.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom