Kaolin Pits of Middle GA

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

philmottrek99and02

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Anyone out there know if the Kaolin pits of middle GA are divable? Is the land still owned by firms like J M Huber Corp? I might be down visiting my folks in December and thought I might get a dive in. As a young child, we would go out with my father, a company employee, and search the tailings for sharks teeth and other fossils. Since that time, the land has gone through an intense reclaimation process and some of the lakes or pits full of very clear water, were stocked.
Howard

Never heard of them but please educate me on this. I live close to middle GA and you have sparked my interest!

Jeremy

JKSteger:
Never heard of them but please educate me on this. I live close to middle GA and you have sparked my interest!

Jeremy
Go south on I-75 until you get into Macon, don't take the bypass. Take I-16 toward Savannah and get off at the Sgoda Road exit. Head north and turn right on White Springs Church Road. Drive until you see the mine signs. They might have emplaced gates and other traffic control measures so you might give the Huber Company a call before sight seeing. How far out int the country do you live? Anywhere near Walker's Mill Road? PM me to chat about that subject. Google Earth Coordinates are roughly 32 42' 38" N by 83 29' 13" W.
Howard

I'll give it a drive-by in the next couple of days. If it looks promising, I may try it out this weekend; sounds like it might make a good alternative to Lake Juliette.

Cheers!

Jim

Well, flying, I have seen a lot of those turquoise ponds but always thought that you probably couldnt dive them because the water would be to alkaline, or the PH would be too far one way or the other. Also the mineral content would be extremely high.

People do swim in those??? Just wondering...

The other side of the ponderosa....SSOH

Ever get by to check things out?

Just wondering.

jholley309:
I'll give it a drive-by in the next couple of days. If it looks promising, I may try it out this weekend; sounds like it might make a good alternative to Lake Juliette.

Cheers!

Jim

philmottrek99and02:
Ever get by to check things out?

Just wondering.

Hi!

Sorry for the delay; I had to make a trip to Miami unexpectedly a week or two ago, and I didn't get a chance to do the drive-by before. I'm headed out there this afternoon; I'll let you know what I find. Fingers are officially crossed! :)

Cheers!

Jim

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom