Kao Lak, Similans, Richelieu in May???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Capi

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hey Guys,

Next year we are planning a trip to Thailand. We plan to go to the Khao Lak Area and dive the region, the Similans, Surin and of course Richelieu. Now I know that the best period to dive that area is till April. Due to several reasons we are not able to go any earlier then the 28th of April. Can anybody tell me about the conditions in May around this area. I know the wet season starts however that is weatherlike not really a problem. I am really interested in the diving conditions and water conditions.

Thanks for any comments.

Early May can be very good too. In fact, in the 7 years I have been here, I only recall 1 year when the weather was bad at the end of April. Last year it was fine up until about the 15th/16th May. The first week of May can be great for big fish, calm seas, hot as an oven and (bonus) all hotels have switched to low season rates.

Batfish thanks for your reply.

We will stay untill the 16th of may so it should be good however the weather is never an exact science :). The news about the big fish...great. I read that we should still be able to see some mantas`s and hopefully whale sharks.
I see that you are from the region.. can I slip in another question..?
At this point we are looking at seadragon or similan-scuba as a our dive centre and the similana resort asour base... If you have any comments on the centres or hotel I would be very happy to hear them.

Thanks again,

Capi:
Batfish thanks for your reply.

We will stay untill the 16th of may so it should be good however the weather is never an exact science :). The news about the big fish...great. I read that we should still be able to see some mantas`s and hopefully whale sharks.
I see that you are from the region.. can I slip in another question..?
At this point we are looking at seadragon or similan-scuba as a our dive centre and the similana resort asour base... If you have any comments on the centres or hotel I would be very happy to hear them.

Thanks again,
I did a 3 day trip with Sea Dragon last october. Top notch service. Very professional. I would certainly go back with them next time I head that way. Khao Lak is a nice town also. I really enjoyed friendly atmosphere even though they were just recovering from the tsunami when I was there.

Personally, if I wanted a cheap Khao Lak based liveaboard I would look at Similan Diving Safaris. The boat is called the Dolphin Queen. Or on the other hand...you seem to have chosen a very nice resort, but rather basic liveaboards. I mean, up to you, but there are way nicer boats than any of the above mentioned.

Batfish:
Personally, if I wanted a cheap Khao Lak based liveaboard I would look at Similan Diving Safaris. The boat is called the Dolphin Queen. Or on the other hand...you seem to have chosen a very nice resort, but rather basic liveaboards. I mean, up to you, but there are way nicer boats than any of the above mentioned.

Batfish,

We are not doing a real live aboard trip although we will spend some nights at the Similans. We do day trips from where we can stay a few days on a liveaboard which docks at the similans( similan-scuba). This s not a bad concept by the way.If there are any other dive centres which offer the same kind of service I would love to know. I agree that after seeing the interior of the boats it is kind a basic.
I am used to egyptian live aboards and these are really nice.
Again any comments and help is welcome. I will search the web some more to find better boats.

Cheers

There is a bit of a hole in the market there for short liveaboards on very nice boats. The fancy boats all seem to go for longer trips, while those that offer overnighters and daily transfers tend to be the more crowded and basic boats. South Siam is another that does these trips. For day trips, I'd suggest IQ Dive.

Thanks again Batfish.

I will take a look at the centres you mentioned. I will let you what we`ll book.
A bit early but good holidays!

Actually for overnight trips to the Similans and the region there are several shops here in Khao Lak (where I live) that offer this. In addition to what's mentioned (Similan Scuab Adventures, IQ divers) Siam Adventures runs the same kind of platform boat. You can also join "real liveaboards" for a portion of their trips. Instead of 5 day trips, join for 2 days and one night, or three days and two nights. you will also get the option, by doing that to see Koh Bon, Koh Tachai and Richelieau. The shops here offering those deals include Loma divers, Siam Adventure, Phuket Divers, Khao Lak Scuba Adventure. There are two more new boats that will be offering short stay trips, but we have no reports about quality yet, more on them later....

Here in Khao Lak, the season should be great in May, We dove until late May this last season and had a great time. Great deals on Hotels, and if you are looking for great hotels, that often have low season deals, try Sarojin. Some of the off-season specials are incredible.

At the Beginning of May you will find some of the shops (Cafes, Internet)
starting to close up, but all locally owned shops, restaurants and stores remain open.

Great info Similandiver...

Thanks. I will have a look at all the centers. Probably its best to arrange the diving on the spot. Since it is low season this should not be a problem. The advice for doing parts of a live aboard is great. I think the planning will be ok and we will be able to relax, do some nice things in the country and do about 25 dives...

Cheers!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom