K Valve

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Need some advice on servicing my Alum 80's.
After checking some of my older Alum 80's, all up to Vis and hydro. one tank has air leaking out of the knob...
I thought to my self, is that possible? So, insteading of paying a arm and a leg to let my LSD service it. cant i just buy a new K Valve. Should be simple to take out the old one and put in the new one?? then let my LSD do a vis? or is there more to it?

however, my question is with so many brands and so many rated PSI that the valves can hold....what should i be looking for?
and please dont tell me to let my LSD do it for me

thanks for your help,
seaboyforever

seaboyforever:
After checking some of my older Alum 80's, all up to Vis and hydro. one tank has air leaking out of the knob...
I thought to my self, is that possible? So, insteading of paying a arm and a leg to let my LSD service it. cant i just buy a new K Valve. Should be simple to take out the old one and put in the new one?? then let my LSD do a vis? or is there more to it?

however, my question is with so many brands and so many rated PSI that the valves can hold....what should i be looking for?

thanks for your help,
seaboyforever
take it to lds..most likely a $10./$15. fix..FREE if you are a loyal/regular customer..

If your AL 80 are 3000 psi (if your not sure look on the neck of the tank it will say somthing like DOT-3AL3000) you want a valve rated at 3000 psi or 200 bar. Don't buy a valve rated for more pressure than the applicable cylinder it is going to be used on. Rupture discs are rated on the working pressure of the cylinder and usually burst between 4 and 5 thirds of the cylinders working pressure (FYI most hydros are performed at 5 thirds or for a 3000 psi cylinder is 5000 psi).

The only way I have found to remove a valve at home is wrap the cylinder with some sort of rubber and use a large strap wrench around a pole or on the corner of a work bench while your friend removes the valve, install the new valve (make sure to lube the oring with some oxygen rated grease). If I remember correctly the torque should be 55-75 ftlbs. (there should be no need for a vis)

thanks for your help,
seaboyforever

oly5050user:
take it to lds..most likely a $10./$15. fix..FREE if you are a loyal/regular customer..

No question about this last reply! However, I have come across some old K Valves that internal parts are no longer aavailable so replacement is answer. But 99% of valves are repairable.

PS: with the number of dives seaboy indicates he should be lot more familiar with his equipment.

seaboyforever:
Need some advice ..............................................................
seaboyforever

I know you said please but have your LDS do it for you.......see I didn't say "let".

DEEPLOU:
PS: with the number of dives seaboy indicates he should be lot more familiar with his equipment.

Where are you seeing number of dives?

You should be able to change it easily enough. It shouldn't be too tight. Too tight will damage the O-ring. You should be able to stand the tank on the ground and smack the valve handle with your fist or a rubber mallet and it will start to turn out. Many valves have a flat side where you can place a wrench. Smack the wrench instead of the handle if that is the case.

You can buy a new valve pretty inexpensively. Be sure to use a new O-ring and O2 rated grease. A vip never hurts and they should put your new valve on for free in place of the old one when they reassemble your tank.

Hey thanks for your thoughts and suggestions on replacing my k-valvle.
For those few that chose to relate my diving experience to replacing a simple K valve. how does it relate. maybe you should find something else to spend your time, instead of choosing someones logged dives. Now thats SAD!

Back
Top Bottom