K-Valve on HP Steel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

orangelion03

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Just purchased a steel HP 120 with 300 bar DIN valve. My reg has a yoke, but is convertible to DIN. The 300 bar DIN valve is too thick to use with a yoke/adapter. Now, I have a choice...convert the reg to DIN, which would then not be compatible with my other tanks or on travel or on boats that have tanks on board. Or...can I use a K-valve on a HP tank (w/ appropriate burst disc fitted)?

Thanks!

What you should do is convert your reg to DIN and buy a screw on yoke adaptor.

These are 3442 psi tanks I assume? You could install a Thermo Pro K/DIN valve. These valves can be either a 200-bar DIN or a K valve with a screw-in insert. I have four of these. I use them as DIN valves, but have seen others just as easily use them as K valves with the inserts.

I ran into the exact same problem (Man was I pissed) - only my Sherwood Reg would fit, but I usually use my Aeris. I put a post on this topic. I did what Jimmer recommends - Converted my Reg to DIN (but I didn't buy the screw on yoke adaptor yet.)

FYI - Converting to DIN cost ~$60 (installed) and the screw on yoke adapter can cost between $30 to $70.

Are your cylinders Faber? There are some convertible valves, "Blue Steel" brand that came with Faber cylinders and will not fit most yokes. It is my understanding that type of valve is no longer in their catalog. I got the dive shop to change it out with a later version that works. No additional cost to me.

We went with DIN-ing the regs, and having a yoke adapter for the regs for travel use on such tanks. Works fine.

Your base setup would then be optimized for the HP tanks and DIN (the high-end stuff), and you retrofit for other uses.

Cheers,
W

Thanks for the comments and suggestions! I was going to go the economic way, a Thermo Pro 200 DIN with internal adapter (about $50), but decided on a Mares DIN converter for my reg and a Poseidon DIN/Yoke adapter ($120).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom