Just wanted to introduce myself...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PuyallupCoug

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hey everyone, my name's Zach, and I'm brand new to diving. I just started taking a NAUI Open water 1 course at my school, Washington State Univerisity. I just had a few questions about what you guys thought of NAUI as a company. I've poked around and found that NAUI has a pretty good reputation but PADI does not. I just wanted to get some people's thoughts and not just what i read in some articles. After 4 sessions in the pool we are putting on tanks for the first time next week. Anybody have any good stories about the first time they used a tank? Thanks!

Hi,
NAUI is none profit association different with other agency, but PADI good reputation as well the biggest diving association......Good dive
Warm welcome to scuba board....

Cheer
Jason

I think you'll find good in both. There is nothing wrong with PADI. They just take somewhat different approaches to training. Thank goodness we are all alittle different or else there would be no variety in life.

Happy Diving

PuyallupCoug:
Hey everyone, my name's Zach, and I'm brand new to diving. I just started taking a NAUI Open water 1 course at my school, Washington State Univerisity. I just had a few questions about what you guys thought of NAUI as a company. I've poked around and found that NAUI has a pretty good reputation but PADI does not. I just wanted to get some people's thoughts and not just what i read in some articles. After 4 sessions in the pool we are putting on tanks for the first time next week. Anybody have any good stories about the first time they used a tank? Thanks!

Hi Zach-

I took my Naui certification at Wazzu in 1986. Best 2 credit PE class I ever took. Advanced Open water was in 87. If your class is structured like mine, your training will be exceptional. Afterall, they have to strech it into a whole semester. I think you'll feel pretty comfortable when you're done. I think it more the instructor and your attitude going into training that effects the outcome, not so much the certifying agency.

As a note: Our open water dives were done on Hood Canal, Christmas Vacation in 86, with a wetsuit. Water was about 40 degrees and so was the air. Atleast the sun was shining. Take care and enjoy. Go Cougs!! Dr. Ken :42:

was your instructor Barry Moore? Because he is still teaching it and I am planning on doing the open water certification dive at his cabin on hood canal in may!

PuyallupCoug:
was your instructor Barry Moore? Because he is still teaching it and I am planning on doing the open water certification dive at his cabin on hood canal in may!

:icon10: A name from the past. It was Barry. He must be getting some grey hair by now. I know I am. :wink: If he's been teaching there for the last 20 years, he must have the material pretty well down. I really enjoyed the class. I think my overall comfort level underwater and 20 safe years of diving is a direct result of his instruction. AOW was taught by his counterpart. I think he was Norwegian, Jann Simeson ?? or something like that. Say Hi. Dr. Ken. :42: Maybe he should put together a coug dive day!!!!!!!!

Here's a link to some of the pics I took last year in Belize and Loreto Mexico. Won't be long till you see more than the pool. Ken
http://www.scubaboard.com/gallery/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=36473

Welcome to the board!

Joe

Zach, All the advice you have seen here is good............basicly it doesn't matter which agency you learn with (As you will see later on in your diving life) they are ALL pretty much the same.............Whatever you do, do it well and have fun..........

Agree.......

Cheer
Jason:D

Red Sea Shadow:
Welcome to the board Zach.
Both NAUI and PADI are good. However, the most important thing in SCUBA diving is to look for a good instructor. Affiliations don't count much.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom