Just...Stop it! Please!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fdog

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
It's a long shot, but just in case the person(s) are members here on SB:

Please, stop removing our survey markers from the Tahoe Benchmark test track.

This is located on the west shore of Lake Tahoe at the site known to locals as "Hurricane Bay". This is a popular beach diving spot about 1 mile south of Sunnyside. It's the one with the sunken sailboat, the Alley Cat.

Replacing these markers is a PITA since we have to resurvey them to the inch. All our research comes to a halt until we reinstall them.

Please! ...and, Thank you!

All the best, James

PS - we're pretty sure it has been recreational divers - thankfully they couldn't swim further than 800'.

You didn't use beer bottles to mark the course did you? :wink:

It would be nice to have the course left in place so that visiting scooter owners can set their own "benchmark" by running thru your course...

I'd suggest the markers have a tag on them that says: "This is a survey marker used for the
following research: (describe research). Please leave it place."

They probably think they are cleaning up Tahoe.
Absolutely a great suggestion Chuck, the replacements will have that on them.

We thought it was possibly someone doing clean-up, too, but since there were lots of old soda cans and assorted trash still there, it seeemed unlikely. I'm sure they just thought they were cool.

You didn't use beer bottles to mark the course did you? :wink:

It would be nice to have the course left in place so that visiting scooter owners can set their own "benchmark" by running thru your course...
Ha ha! Nope, no beer bottles...

Actually, having the calibrated course there for others to use has always been a goal. Heck, if anyone wants to come up here with that in mind, just drop us a line, we'll show up with data recorders and have a spare bedroom available tto boot!

All the best, James

James, what is the bottom like? Is there a way to set a permanent anchor point?

Wow, that's a cool offer, I will keep this one in mind if I ever get to my scooter project.
Oh wait, that will be after the dive light, test bench, finishing my basement, building a garage. Oh crap, never mind, you will be retired on some tropical island by then, lol.

The bottom is sandy silt with a 45 degree slope. The start and end markers are pretty secure:

FlyingFinish.jpg

We will be switching to driven rebar for the 100' markers with imprinted survey caps:

808_789_thumb.JPG

Hopefully it'll help!

All the best, James

I've seen the markers and have left them alone!

You might want to see if you can talk to the Tahoe City P.U.D. about putting a sign or signs right by the bike path there as well. Dont know if that falls under the Parks and Rec dept or not.

Any way to rig a booby trap to em? Something like if they try to take them a spray of permanent dye goes all over them as soon as they surface? Or even better a skeleton pops up out of the silt and scares the crap out of them! Trying to stay non lethal here.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom