Just Starting - What to Buy First?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RecDiver97

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
My brother is just starting out, and does not have a lot of money to spend, so it appears that he is going to buy in stages. I had no advice for him, because I bought my gear fairly quickly (that's another story).

So the question is, among the standard scuba gear, if he is going to buy in stages, what would you buy first and what would you buy second, etc.?

• BC
  • regulator
  • wetsuit
  • octo
  • computer

NEXT QUESTION: My brother has been eyeing the Mares Pegasus Back-inflate BC. Any opinions?

My brother is just starting out, and does not have a lot of money to spend, so it appears that he is going to buy in stages. I had no advice for him, because I bought my gear fairly quickly (that's another story).

So the question is, among the standard scuba gear, if he is going to buy in stages, what would you buy first and what would you buy second, etc.?

• BC
  • regulator
  • wetsuit
  • octo
  • computer

NEXT QUESTION: My brother has been eyeing the Mares Pegasus Back-inflate BC. Any opinions?

Hey RecDiver97:

This thread has a consortium of opinions. I have weighed in on the discussion as well. To summarize my thoughts, buy the most personal stuff first. Buy the things that will require some trials and opinions next (BC & regulators). there are so many options for a BCD and regulators, that some people go with what their dive buddies have because of their opinions or they are able to try the gear out. Some go with what their LDS recommends but a few searches here and you can decide if that is the way you want to go.

The computer to me at least, is last. I have a Suunto Vyper, but I don't use it often and I now always use it in gauge mode. I also use more frequently an Uwatec bottom timer cheap thing. I use a dive table; plan my dive and then dive my plan.

Oh, and new versus used. Eh, it depends on the person, their experience, and their resources. I have bought all new and I have bought all used. There is the forever debatable warranty issues, gray market issues, and the ubiquitous buyer beware. What are you comfortable with? Buying a second hand regulator setup can be kinda' hairy if you don't know what your looking for or doing. But good deals can be had from eBay and here on SB. I just got a super deal here for a full setup and for a bit over 400 USD and from a respected poster. Just look around and ask questions.

And finally, the Mares Pegasus looks high tech (gimmicky) and is reasonably priced but then again, I know nothing about it. Would your Brother or you object to a back plate and wing? Nothing fancy, but economical, comfortable, and dependable. Try this.

Good luck to your Brother and you. I hope this helps.

With kind regards,
Thomas

Last edited:

• BC
  • regulator
  • wetsuit
  • octo
  • computer

I suggest to my students that they 'sneak up' on their gear purchases. When I got back into diving after a 30 year hiatus I bought everything right away but I bought used, but serviceable (recreational) gear, then I bought everything again, this time as new (recreational) gear, then I decided what I really wanted to do was cave diving and guess what? Yup, I had to pop for yet another set of gear, this time that would let me dive doubles and computers that would do deco and gas switches. Hummmm I wish someone had suggested that I slow down and find out what kind of diving I was going to end up doing.

I'd suggest wet suit first, BC second, reg set & computer third. Rental wet suits never fit right so he's really going to want his own.

As for BC's I strongly suggest a back inflate weight integrated BC, which is what he's looking at. Those hold you in the correct (horizontal) position during your dive. There's a little bit of a learning curve for how to use it vertically on the surface (just don't over fill it!) but that's not the main use of the BC so he shouldn't buy one for ease of floating on the surface. Buy one that dives well!

1 - Wet Suit first because you want it to fit you and be comfotable (and someone else just got done peeing in that rental wet suit)
2 - Regulator because you will know when it gets serviced because you take it in for the service (plus you stick it in your mouth, where has that rental been?)
3 - BC (Show him the DiveRite harness and back inflate. With a harness he can grow into it)
4 - Computer, last. You don't need one to dive. They just make the diving more convenient.

I agree with the recommendation of making the wet suit first. Don't buy the least expensive one, buy the one that fits and works for you.

Many new divers get the cheapest one and usually its not very flexible, and way too buoyant.
For instance My wife's first suit was purchased with cost in mind. she hated diving in it. to the point she wouldn't even go out for local dives with me. After I bought her a flexible, one piece 7mm. she was able to drop a lot of weight, and she enjoyed going diving again.

As for the rest of the gear. you can usually get a price break if you buy them together in a package. Don't worry if your LDS doesn't offer the combination of reg, BC, computer that you have in mind. Talk to them many owners will build a package for you and offer a discount over what you would pay if you bought them one at a time.

My idea...

wetsuit
regs (with octo, can't separate those 2...)
bc
personally I prefer botton timer with depth gauge (I use Uwatec botton timer), no computer, but if you want a computer, would be the last to buy

I know little of BC's such as this but was willing to give it a look to be fair.

I gave up at "Heavy-duty technopolymer D-rings". They have improved on steel? Sounds more like a marketing team has worked over hours to create a new term for "cheap plastic".
(and there are apparently a grand total of 3 of them)

The rest of the description just started to annoy me when Scuba Diving Magazine pre-decided the "local conditions" the user would encounter.

Also, the real give away is any manufacturer that uses red as the color for an "emergency" handle or rip-cord. As every diver learns the first color distinction we loose when we dive is red. Therefore it is asinine to use that color for a high visibility control device. It's just another marketing ploy to sell useless stuff to the consumer. (Zeagle is guilty of this stupidity as well)

I'm sure this is a fine device for divers that feel it is better to look marvelous rather than feel marvelous.

Still, it's really cheap. So it has that going for it. Which is something.

Good new wetsuit first (as noted above)
Reg and Octo second (mid priced used ok)
Cheap functional used BC

Then upgrade the BC and add a computer.

Buying used is ok (just check it out well) there is tons of 2-3 year old gear out there that has 10 dives on it and owners that are in need of cash.

I put regs last for several reasons. They are probably going to last longer than the other items, so you want to make sure (more than for the other stuff) that you get the one you want. As you rent gear to try different types before you buy, you won't have as many choices on the other items as you will for regs. In my opinion, the differences in the other items have a greater bearing you your enjoyment; it's harder to tell the difference between different (decent-quality) reg sets.

Computers are next to last for many of the same reasons.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom