Just starting out

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

aznlmpulse

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hey guys...

I'm taking my first scuba class (classroom portion) this Saturday, and I'm pretty psyched! Unfortunately, I waited till I only have a few months left on the island to finally do this, and feel a little pressed to get as much diving in before that time comes.

Any suggestions as to which areas are best, which charters are worth their cost, and where to rent my equipment from? I'm in the downtown area, so something nearby would be good.

I have my snorkel set and wetsuit, so I'm looking to rent everything else.

thanks!

-Jae

Jae,

I really like Deep Ecology or Pacific Paradise Divers.

Neither are downtown though. However, you go up to North Shore (which is going to be beautiful for diving in a month) Deep Ecology is the place to go with.

http://www.deepecology1.com/
http://www.pacificparadisedivers.com/

Why do you have to leave the island?

Please PM me when you do your first dive, I'd like to hear how it goes.

Thanks for info! =) I'm sure I'll get a chance to try many different charters before I leave, but I'll be sure to try those two out. I checked out their site, and their customer feedback has me convinced. I'm actually in the navy, and my service ends by the end of this year....I'll be moving back to the east coast.

aznlmpulse:
Any suggestions as to which areas are best, which charters are worth their cost, and where to rent my equipment from? I'm in the downtown area, so something nearby would be good.

I can't help you much on gear rental - I'm thinking that Island Divers or Ocean Concepts might have a decent selection of rental gear.

As far as boat dives, since you're in the Navy, you might want to check out the Sea Lancers club. I think they do $5 boat dives - send a PM to Fishb0y for more info - he's a member.

Otherwise, there are other clubs to join to make boat dives somewhat affordable. Regular (tourist) rates on boat dives run from about $85 - $100 for a two tanker. Generally dive club boat dives are in the $40-$50 range. However, since you'll be here only until the end of the year, I'm trying to think of clubs that have a somewhat reasonable yearly membership fee.

Island Divers charges $75 for their membership - not sure if they'll prorate. They do have club dives every weekend, though.

Ocean Concepts is about $80. Not sure if they'll prorate. They have club dives, as well as your being able to jump on any regular charter they have (as long as there are seats available).

It's been years since I dove with Captain Bruce, but last I knew their club was free. Not sure how often they have club dives, or if it's a space available thing on their regular charters.

Breeze membership is $24 per year, and I think they will prorate. Club dives 2 or 3 times per month.

Since summer is coming up, you'll be able to do a lot of shore diving, which will only cost you tank and gear rental. North Shore is most people's summertime favorite. Once September rolls around (at least for me) it's back to boat diving.

How have you been? I've been diving pretty frequently, give me a call when I get back from Puget Sound (April 14) and I'll show you where I've been renting and we can probably do a few dives together. Later this month I might be renting a pontoon boat and going diving in K-Bay.

I definitely think you should buy your own gear as soon as you find some that's what you want and won't feel like upgrading after a week. I'm considering picking up a backplate/harness setup, if I do you can try out my TransPac and see if you like that setup.

-Randy

Randy,
Do you you do photography? If so, take some pics when you do the K-Bay dive.

as said above...

IDH on Hickam [at their dive/lap pool] 423-8222 or
Ocean Concepts in Rainbow Marina [in association with Pearl MWR] 422-5990
both can take good care of you.
i know IDH picks people up from the downtown hotels on the way to the charters...
[maybe you can arrange to meet them in front of one of the major hotels near you]
[and they'll bring all the rental equipment you'll need]

another option... since you're in the military... the sea-lancers dive club gives you unlimited use of ALL equipment for $30 per month [including tanks and fills] and that also includes the membership fee. then, club boat-dives are $5 per tank.

last week, me and my sea-lancer buds did a 2-tank dive on the YO-257
[yes, sorry, we bogarted the mooring]

Hey Eun,
This weekend I'm placing orders with FredTfor a backplate and DiveRite for the harness. If you're interested in anything from either place let me know and you can order along to save on shipping.

Like Chepar and VBlueV said, being in the military, take a look at Sea Lancers... Sea Lancers isn't in the dive buisness, but they are in the buisness of diving. The whole idea of the club is to make diving affordable of young military members. So come on in, and try out some of the rental gear, see what you like before you buy.

Back
Top Bottom