Just spent 3 days on the Vision

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

the sharkman

Contributor
Reaction score
Within 2 1/2 days we had 13 dives in. All in the Channel Islands (San Miguel and Santa Cruz). A group of three of us joined our local LDS who chartered the Vision by Truth Aquatics, and it was great. Those of you thinking about a liveaboard from California, I would not hesitate to recommend Truth Aquatics. I have been around many sea lions and harbor seals, but non have been as playfull as the ones we encountered. I have seen color in California reefs, but non as colorful as what we saw in the Channel Islands. The wall dives were so colorful that I am still amazed that we were in the cold waters of California. I have always loved California diving, but even more so now.

:guitar:

Sharkman,
What was the water temp like? Was the water up there as "hot" as it has been down in Catalina lately?
My trip on the Conception is coming up on the 14th - I can't wait!

The temp varied. On the western side of San Miguel, it was 54 at depth. Once we got to Santa Cruz it was 64 and felt like I was in bath water. We dove in wetsuits (three of us) and really had no problems. They have a nice drying room to dry wetsuits.

The vis got to above 40 ft, and I would say at times well above that. In fact there was a few moments when I'd swear it was nearing 60 ft. Usually the best was a little above 40 ft. Wyckoff Ledge was absolutely the best California diving I have ever seen. Amazing...

No we didn't see any yellowtail, but I did see a lot of smaller halibut. We also saw a Mola Mola (Sunfish), Bat Ray (huge) and someone saw a Horn Shark. Enjoy your trips. Bring some pants and a nice sweater/ jacket. Definetely BYOB.

Do me a favor, if Captain James is your Captain, tell him the "Sharkey's" said Hi and that I didn't I get the chance to tell him that he was an EXCELLENT Captain. He really did a great job, and I unfortunately didn't get a chance to shake his hand and say thanx.
Thank you

I am planning a 3 day dive to the Northern Channel Islands aboard the Truth Aquatics Conception for Labor Day weekend. I am just a little concerned about the temperature, since I've only done warm water dives. I plan to buy a 7mm wetsuit (I think a Titanium Hyperstretch 2 pc). Do I need a hood (they tend to make me feel too confined)...or would a beanie be sufficient? I'd rather just go without either, but I want to bring something, just in case I need it.

Anybody have any new ideas about seasickness remedies?

You need a hood. I used a hooded vest at the western part (San Miguel) of the channel islands, and a regular hood on the eastern part (Santa Cruz). The water, respectively, was 54 deg. and 64 degrees. A 7mil suit will be fine, but after this trip I really realized how nice a drysuit will be. I still like my wetsuit though, it kind of makes it a little more adventerous. There is a drying room to help dry your suit. As far as seasickness, a lot of people were talking on the boat about how great the patches work (the ones you put behind your ear). Many people had them on, next time I'll bring those. I took Bomine and did not get sick, and I know I would have if I didn't take it. Bottom line, don't stand still and stare at one spot. Stay buisy. I learned this from an off-shore fisherman who runs fishing trips. Most people that get sick are those that sit still and think about how sick they are getting. Move around and get those "sea legs". Also, bring some saltines to munch on if you think you'll get sick.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom