Just returned to Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ColoDale

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
After a month in the US to take care of business, vaccinations and family, we returned home to Cozumel yesterday. I had not been out of Mexico for three years so it was time to make a trip.

We used United direct to Denver and back. Both flights arrived early. AA seems to be having big problems now. The return flight was packed though we left Denver a bit late as some had to be reminded multiple times to use a mask in the plane. Most in Denver are not wearing masks but by report almost 70% have at least the first vaccination. We got our (negative) covid test done a couple of days before leaving. I am hoping that in the future we can present vaccination docs instead.

TSA leaving Denver was quick due to TSA precheck but there were alot of people in all lines (4 July weekend). Unbeknownst to us, the July 4 week hosted the largest fastpitch softball tournament in the country - all hotels booked. Construction at the airport in Denver is still going on with blocked areas in the main terminal.

Immigration and customs arriving in Denver was a breeze due to Global entry and though I got the red light in Cozumel, they only seemed to want to know about tobacco and e-cig equipment. After a few questions, they did not search our luggage and only a cursory check of carry ons.
For permanent residents of Mixico, we could only get the immigrations forms the day before leaving (the same as tourists use coming in but we do it in reverse), and they would not give us extras for next time as they were short of forms. Plenty for tourists on the way back but no pens and not enough to share.

We used the QR code for vuela seguro for the Mexico health form for the return in Denver but no one asked for it upon arriving in Mexico. I cannot tell it was reported electronically in Cozumel. No one else seemed to be filling out paper forms on landing.

What do you mean AA having big problems now?
I assume he means that they are being stretched thin because of demand resurgence after they cut back capacity to get through the worst of the pandemic. I am scheduled to fly out on AA tomorrow, so I guess I'll see for myself. Pray for me. :D

I assume he means that they are being stretched thin because of demand resurgence after they cut back capacity to get through the worst of the pandemic. I am scheduled to fly out on AA tomorrow, so I guess I'll see for myself. Pray for me. :D

You will be fine.

I think you'll be fine. We really haven't had any issues with American other than them changing flights around. Even so, we haven't had trouble getting onto another flight. That seems to be stabilizing though and reports are they are getting back on track. Because their refurbishment center is here in Tulsa, we get a lot of updates on the local news. Plus AA was a customer of mine for many years (before I sold my business), so we're still in touch with some of the local management. Sounds like AA is getting its act together and trying to get its furloughed pilots recertified as quickly as possible. Our last trip (in June) was uneventful on the AA side. The bigger issue was the staff shortage at DFW airport...not AA staff, but airport staff. Took more than 90 minutes to collect our checked bags before walking thru customs to re-drop the bags. I used to take the shortest layover available, but I'm now planning longer layovers for return to the USA at least until people finally decide to go back to work.

We used United direct to Denver and back. Both flights arrived early. AA seems to be having big problems now.
Better luck then mine. I booked two trips this summer, one on each of those airlines, and incurred cancelations on both.
Most in Denver are not wearing masks
I would think that's true of the city, but not of the airport is it?
I am hoping that in the future we can present vaccination docs instead.
I hope so as well, but with so many fake cards being sold, I am doubtful. A vac-passport would have worked well I think, but politics blocked that.

I would think that's true of the city, but not of the airport is it?

I just went through DIA twice last week and mask compliance was almost 100%. I saw two people (not in the same group) not wearing one around the luggage carousel while waiting to pick up my checked bag on the return. They both had an air of just BEGGING for someone to say something so they could go off on a rant. There was a TSA agent nearby who either didn't notice or didn't care.

I just went through DIA twice last week and mask compliance was almost 100%. I saw two people (not in the same group) not wearing one around the luggage carousel while waiting to pick up my checked bag on the return. They both had an air of just BEGGING for someone to say something so they could go off on a rant. There was a TSA agent nearby who either didn't notice or didn't care.
That was about the same as my observations at Lubbock, DFW, and Roatan last week. Since the Feds require masks in airports and planes, people seem to accept and comply. Honduran rules and at least Roatan compliance are pretty strict. I think most governors have dropped the requirements in their states as a political move to boost business, so they are rarely seen out and about. No, TSA would have nothing to do with compliance anywhere. You should have set your phone to video and asked the noncompliers. :)

You should have set your phone to video and asked the noncompliers. :)

Maybe when I was younger! But I now know you can't fix stupid, and I'm not looking to start a Youtube channel. Plus it's usually bad to antagonize the crazies. I also wouldn't be comfortable being involved in any avoidable confrontation in an airport considering our zero tolerance society. I have no faith the powers that be would give a crap which party was in the wrong if things got out of hand. And for me no-fly = no-dive!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom