Just Returned From Turneffe Island Resort

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hydroknot

ScubaBoard Sponsor
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Another wonderful diving holiday at Turneffe Island Resort. My wife, daughter (age 15) and I arrived on Dec 25 & departed Jan 01. Weather a bit chilly with overcast skies. Air temp low 70s during the day & mid 60s at night. Lots of wind and choppy seas ... however, last two days were more typical for winter with clear skies, air temp low 80s. Still had stiff winds and choppy seas, tho. Water temp during stay a constant 79 degrees.

Diving superb despite the weather. Little damage evident from Hurricane Richard. Reefs in good shape. Lots of aquatic life ... large & small. The resort still shows a few hurricane scars, but none that affect the quality of stay. The pool bar's thatched roof was blown away, but a temp roof is in place. Business as usual at happy hour.

This was our second trip to the resort within the last 6 months. Couldn't get enough of it. Matt & Morag still run a tight ship. Food is delicious & plentiful. Diving staff unchanged. Same for kitchen and housekeeping. Real pros! Guests want for nothing above or below the ocean's surface. (There were many past guests present during our stay. What better endorsement could a diver want!)

Go there!

Not surprised but still glad to hear you had another great time.

My invitation to join Carol and I in Placencia this summer still stands. Come hunt Whale Sharks with us!

My wife and I were there in April 2010 and loved it. Almost went back this year, but decided on 16 days in Coz instead. Definitely on my places to "re-do" list.

Thanks for the damage / repair report

TC

TIR is on our "re-do" list as well. Everytime I receive an e-mail with a rate special I try to convince my wife that its time to go back.

What are drink prices at the resort? We'll be there in April and I'm trying to plan out how much money to bring along.

If memory serves, rum and cokes are about $5 a pop. Not sure about the rest. I think they leave a price list in your room. My guess is most most drinks are going to be in that range, maybe a buck or two more.

Other than tipping, there's no real need to bring cash as they aren't really set up for it. After you arrive, you'll sit down with one of the managers to show them your cert card and to set up a charge account (VISA or MasterCard only, not AmEx). Your drinks and any other charges you rack up such as extra dives, nitrox, BH park fee, etc will be charged to your account. They'll give you a preliminary bill the afternoon before you leave so you can check it for accuracy, then you settle up in the morning before getting on the boat.

Just so you know, they put out free snacks and coffe/water/tea/lemonade in the Lodge all day, so you don't have to worry about going hungry or thirsty between meals.

Regarding tips, you can either put them on the account or do it with cash. Obviously, the staff prefers cash, but they're appropriately grateful either way. There will be a suggested tip range sheet that will also be in your room.

That sheet has been somewhat controversial as TIR suggests tips for everyone from the dive crew and housekeeping staff all the way down to the landscape crew and maintenance workers. Obviously, whether you decide to tip, who you decide to tip and how much you decide to tip is completely up to you.

The service there is absolutely first class. If you need something, just ask for it and they'll jump on it right away.

We were assigned to Brad and Marcel's boat the first time we went and asked for them last time. But I've been on several dives with Daniel and John, and they're great as well. John can be a little intimidating at first as he's a big guy and his accent is very thick so he can be a little hard to understand. I think he knows that so he's kind of quiet. But if you spend a little time and effort to draw him out, you'll find he's really a big teddy bear.

So no matter which boat you get, you're going to have a great time.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom