just returned from Galapagos....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Deano2

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

Just got back from a week on a liveaboard trip in the Galapagos. What a fantastic trip. Not only did the hammerheads show up in large numbers, including schools of hundreds (the guide said thousands but I can;t count that high). There were also big beefy black tips and galapagos sharks around. On top of that we had a number of whale sharks swimming about and I had 7 sightings/close up encounters, including 2 different individuals on 2 different dives the last day. The whale sharks were massive, 15-25 m. Add to that schools of Bonito, Wahoo, Dolphin, Yellowfin tuna and you can say we had one damn good time. You can imagine our excitement....or can you? We were lucky to spend 3 days up at Darwin Island and the weather and currents cooperated in each case, currents rarely exceeding 1 knot. The crew was excellent, the trip perfectly organized. The guests were also great fun (except Chicogal ; )).

Oh, and for anyone planning a trip, 5 mm or 7 mm wetsuit is more than sufficient, don;t bother with a dry suit. I took a 5 mm, hooded polar tec, boots, 3 mm gloves, socks and I was fine, even for the inner islands which are colder but I was good for a 40 minute dive there.

Deano2

Nice trip report, thanks for sharing. So what's up with Chicogal? Not a good sport. :D

a 25m whale shark, it is likely a world record.

Most sources cite the max length for the species as 18-20m, with 'large' individuals typically in the 12-14m range.

Chicogal is a regular here so I had to give her a hard time. I hope she logs on and sees the note, she'll surely give me a hard time. Funny to meet someone who logs on here on a trip.

FYI - the boat was the Reina Silvia and she is one mighty fine MV. Clean, fast and comfotable. The crew is first rate and the guide was excellent as was the guy who arranged the whole trip - Marc B at Aquatic Encounters.

Oh and the whale sharks. Yes they were big. 15 m was average and one was 18, maybe 20 m. Yes my friend they were very large indeed. You'd probably say that a 600 kg marlin was a record and you would be right, one was caught (and released) recently in Panama. With all that food out in the pacific they can grow large. Kind of like Texas but you should know that.

Deano2

Gosh Deano2, you got my name wrong and hurt my feelings at the same time! Seriously, this was a great trip all around, super captain and crew, delicious and plentiful food, good boat,good conditions, good company and amazing diving. I wanted to see maybe a whaleshark and some hammerheads, and we got to have multiple experiences with several different large (40 foot or so) whalesharks and many hundreds of hammerheads, along with dolphins, hundreds of large,unconcerned moray eels, and thousands upon thousands of fish big and small. Many thanks to Marc Bernardi of Aquatic Encounters who organized this trip on the Reina Silvia and to our wonderful naturalist, Victor, who also made a trip CD while taking good care of us.

of seeing a 14m WS with Marc B on the Reina Silvia at Darwin's Arch a few years ago.

Excellent trip, highly recommend the boat and Marc's operation.

Hey Cyklon,

Marc's trip was the best. Well organized and great group. I enjoyed myself thoroughly. After looking at pic's I am inclined to agree with you - the whale sharks were around 14-18 m. They sure seemed big ! Maybe it was that 33% bigger underwater and the tendency of people to make them bigger that got me going. Thanks all the same for your comments and hope to see around sometime. I'm definitely going back to the G and I wouldn't consider another boat or organizer.

Deano2

Hi Chicoval,

Gee you Northern California girls are sensitive. : )

I might have gotten the name wrong but I would never forget you. Besides Val kind of sounds like gal and really sounds like gal after a couple beers on the top deck. Greatest equator party I ever attended !! I suppose you got home and unpacked ? I'm playing with the photos at the moment, if I have any good ones of you guys I'll mail them.

BTW - With a Jean, Dean and Jeano on the boat I'm surprised you got my name right.

Deano2

Unnecessary apology accepted! The equator party was indeed one of the highlights of the trip. I look forward to keeping in touch with you, including when we all plan the return trip.
Valerie

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom