Just returned from Freeport, Bahamas

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CAPT HOOK

Contributor
Reaction score
Got in 5 dives with Grand Bahama Scuba! Great dive Op; treated us like one of the family from the minute we got on board.
Favorite sites were Pygmy Caves (75',33 min)' lots of swim thrus & canyons, had a ball.
Shark Junction (54',50 min) sand bottom, numerous coral heads - sharks, rays, large groupers, etc.
Fred, Melinda & especially Suzuki take really good care to see everyone has a good time. Hell they even carry your gear to the dive platform for you. (I got spoiled!)
Highly recommend you look them up if you are in Freeport!

Hiya Cap'n, I used to beach dive in Freeport. Right next to the Grand Lucayn Beach Hotel is the inlet to the marina. We used to walk in off of the resorts beach. They were always happy to let us dive from thier beach as it would draw the tourists. Lots of Snapper around that inlet for the Hawaiian spearfisher. We would give folks who wanted them a fish and the hotel would cook it for them. Great diving and great people there. Glad you had a good time!

They are a cool dive operation. W hen i go back to freeport i'll dive with them again.

Thanks for the info, we're headed to Ocean Reef/GBS next month. Yet another positive review!!!!

Great, I will be there July 22 - Aug 1 and hope to do at least 3 dive trips. I only have 8 dives under my belt, so I will be looking for the tamer sites. I wonder what operator is closest to "High Rock" on the east end where our house is. I will look up Grand Bahama Scuba.

wcwilson:
Great, I will be there July 22 - Aug 1 and hope to do at least 3 dive trips. I only have 8 dives under my belt, so I will be looking for the tamer sites. I wonder what operator is closest to "High Rock" on the east end where our house is. I will look up Grand Bahama Scuba.

We just got back tonight from the Ocean Reef Resort, and Grand Bahama Scuba was AMAZING!!! I'll post a full review when I'm fully awake.

Yaz

wcwilson:

Congratulations on staying away from the crowds. It is a lovely area, but High Rock is about 30 miles east of Freeport/Lucaya and that is where all the dive operations are located. You will need to rent a car to get back and forth on your own schedule. I suppose you can contact them ahead of time and they might be able to make arrangements to take you back and forth but that would figure to be an hour out of their day each way unless they live out east. In any event you would be stuck there on their time.

As an alternative there is a bonefish operation out of East end and they come into Freeport every morning to pick up fishermen. You might contact them and see if you can make some sort of arrangement. It certainly will be cheaper than taxi.
Check with Capt Phil at
http://www.bahamasvacationguide.com/p&mbonefishing/index.html
He usually gets into Freeport about 7:00 am and then comes back about 4 pm. Probably not very convenient. He also can arrange a variety of special trips out of east end. A day at Sweeting's Cay is pretty unique but you are staying in an area that is pretty unique. It will be much more of a family island feel than anything around Port Lucaya.

Back
Top Bottom