Just passing thru

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I use a 4/3 full suit with a hood on cold days 60 - 70 degrees. No hood on warmer days 70 - 80 degrees. Anything warmer than that is bath water and a shorty or nothing is good.

What are you using for thermal protection this time of year?

Anything below 70F and all the way down to 60F or so I wear a full 5mm + a 5/3 hooded vest.

Cheers.

-J.-

Friday, Feb 15, 8am.

Capt. Ty's boat will be heading out to the Sheridan for dive 1. I sure would like some help choosing and diving the second one. I know Ty wouldn't mind a full boat.

I'm hoping Missdirected hasn't lost that big ray.

Dang, I wish I could go. You'll always have a great time out with Capt. Ty.

Sheridan is also a great dive. As long as vis is up, and it should be great this time of year, you'll have a blast.

Hi, Joe. Well, I met some nice people and did get a dive in. Unfortunately, the boat dive was cancelled and we ended up doing a one-tanker at a place called "Hudson Grotto". I might recommend it if you have no other options. This is a classic sink-hole, but not much different than any quarry you and I may be used to. The cool things were a few large turtles, the "bell' shape of the grotto, and the salt-cline at 80 ft--none of which I really got to explore. Had I to do it over, I would have grabbed a redundant system like I'm used to diving and struck out on my own (not that I'm recommending solo-diving to the unqualified). As it was, I followed a very nice gentleman working on his "peak boyancy" at about 30-40 ft, and kept an eye on his AOW-qualified son, whom I was SURE was going to slip into the dark depths because he was clearly not as advanced with the boyancy skills as his dad.
I don't want to sound TOO disappointed here, but for the $$ I payed, 1 tank and in the water for an hour probably was not worth it.
Enjoy your dives--sounds like you've got some great plans coming together!

Bummer. But at least you missed some lovely mid-west winter weather. Des Moines might get to double digits today. It's a balmy 7 here.

The wife and I can't wait to get down to Florida. I'm sure by mid February, the water temps will be in the 80s with 100+ vis.
eyebrow.gif

Were you serious about diving the spillway? I remember it being worst than the Mississippi. But that was after the 93 flooding.

Hudson Grotto is fine for working on advanced skills or if weather prohibits any other diving but it's not a place for the out of town visitor to do until they have done the gulf and/or the better springs.

We were there Sunday and it was 45 in the air, 64 on the surface and once you went below the halocline/hydrogen sulfide layer at 80' it warmed up to 74. Absolute pitch black on the bottom at 110' due to the lack of light but very little particulate in the water. That gives you an idea of what to expect.

You'd enjoy Alexander Springs, Blue Grotto or Ginnie Springs much better.

Hopefully the weather will cooperate and you'll get out with Ty.

Bummer. But at least you missed some lovely mid-west winter weather. Des Moines might get to double digits today. It's a balmy 7 here.

The wife and I can't wait to get down to Florida. I'm sure by mid February, the water temps will be in the 80s with 100+ vis.
eyebrow.gif

Were you serious about diving the spillway? I remember it being worst than the Mississippi. But that was after the 93 flooding.

Hey Joe; Yep, serious about the spillway. I'm still working on an alternate date in Feb...probably March. With all this new snow and upcoming runoff, however, I don't know if the Corps of Eng will turn down the tap for us again. We'll see. In any case, still have to get the reg turned down a bit to cope with the turbulance.
Get your Florida dives in?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom