Just passing thru

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

EditMojo, just make sure u put a "." after Capt ... Capt. Ty

Check out his shop as well. Google Jims Dive Shop in St Pete and see what they have going on.

Also as time nears be sure to keep an eye out here for posted trips.

If Ty is can't assist you, call Divers Supply and see what boats they are using or can recommend. Their number is: 813.969.3480

Crap! Too many options. The wife will only let me dive one day this trip. (Last trip to Coz was all about me and the kids diving so I guess, in the interest of marital harmony, I should follow orders.)

Gennie springs looks like fun and close to Ocala. (where I'm staying)

I've been PMing Capt. Ty and he sure is making it easy to dive with him. Gear waiting on the boat... cocktails after the dive... (ok, some exaggeration)

But I'm glad to find so many other options. ScubaBoard and you all are great.

I'll let you know what I come up with and maybe get to dive with some of you if you can stand a newb.

Thank you all.

Hey, great thread...just what I was looking for. I'll be in ST Pete next week for business and am working it for a dive on the 15th. Just about to set up with Narcosis when I read this. Their calendar has them diving Army Tanks and Spring Ledges on the. Worth the time/effort/$$ or should I keep looking?
Thanks in advance!:D

Crap! Too many options.

Double crap, here comes another option :)

How about snorkeling with the manatees (with the whole fam damily). That should get you enough "marital harmony" to get whole 'nother day of diving for yourself :D

Next Monday, I'd expect you'll see lot's of trip reports on our visit to snuggle with the sea cows next weekend. One positive, that trip isn't weather dependent.

I really appreciate all the help everyone is willing to give. Still waiting to here from Capt. Ty as I really like boat diving in warm salt water. How lucky you all are to have all these diving options. Can't wait to get down there and sample some of it.

diven'-larry, where in Iowa are you? The wife and I graduated from ISU. And where do you dive in Iowa? Gotta be worse than Minnesota? At least we have a few lakes up here.

Hey Joe! I'm in Des Moines (Johnston) and dove a few times in quarries in and north of Mason City. Yeah--diving in Iowa is "limited", but I'm looking forward to getting to Okaboji this year (I dove it once a few years ago). Most of my diving is with the S/R team, though...sifting thru the muck for nasty stuff. I'm looking forward to a little diving where I can see some "stuff"!
PS...you HAVE to dive Ginnie or any of the other springs if/when you get a chance. It's awesome.

I'm booked with Capt. Ty for 2 tanks sometime during the week of Feb 11-16. (WOO HOO or should I say W00T) What are some good Gulf sites for a newb to try? What about thermal protection? I'm assuming at least a 5mm? My check out dives were at the upper 60's with a 7mm with no hood or gloves and I was fine.

Larry, we lived in Ankeny for years and I worked in Des Moines. I've got a lot of respect for you S/R guys. When the bridge went down, this summer, my Instructor knew some of the recovery divers. They said it was the worst. No viz, strong currents, lots of sharp stuff and knowing what your going to eventually find... I don't think I could do it.

There are some nice quarries here. The lakes are fairly boring (I'm jaded after a week in Coz) although I had a nice 2 minute stare down with a good size musky once. I understand the wrecks on Superior are great but way out of my current skill level.

I'm booked with Capt. Ty for 2 tanks sometime during the week of Feb 11-16. (WOO HOO or should I say W00T) What are some good Gulf sites for a newb to try? What about thermal protection? I'm assuming at least a 5mm? My check out dives were at the upper 60's with a 7mm with no hood or gloves and I was fine.

If you want to wear a 7 mil that will be fine for down here. I usually just go with a 3 mil for the winter but I have some extra whale blubber for insulation. I recommend using a hood though. You will be surprised at how much warmer you will be. It might even allow to go to a lighter suit. With a hood on I have no problem with 60 degree water. Enjoy your dive and when it gets closer to time repost or bump the thread and maybe some of us will be able to join you.:D

More Info: Looks Like Friday, Feb 15. The Captain says he'll be gentle on me. It would be fun to meet some of you and fill Ty's boat.

Hope to see some of you soon.

Good stuff, Joe. If you're ever back to DSM give a call or contact Adventure Diving...we can set up a quick trip to Mason City, or dive the spillway on Saylorville (whoo hoo!).

Everyone else: I'm trying to get set up with Tanks-a-Lot for next Tuesday, Jan 15th. Anyone interested? The Cpt sounded a bit non-committal and would "give me a call". Thanks!

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom