just moved to Boca

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TheOnlyRae

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
and fairly new to diving.

1) any recommendations to get some specialty certifications?
(as a newbie, I need to work on buoyancy)
2) can you dive year round here?

any words of wisdom?

thanks!

R

Welcome to Florida. The more you dive, the better your skills will be. Get in the water every chance you get and practice. I dive year round in a 3mm. On especially cold days, I add a 1mm vest and hood. Good luck and have fun!

Welcome to year round diving, and you living in Boca, it's a short drive to the best beach diving around! Who are you certified with? ARe you interested in continuing your diving education with that agency? I know of a few very good instructors if you would like a recommendation.

Kevin Metz of Underwater Explorers will get your buoyancy dialed in and you'll have a great time diving with him, one of the best instructors around: Underwater Explorers - SCUBA Diving Boynton Beach, Delray, Palm Beach, Reefs and Wrecks

As an added bonus his operation is pretty close to Boca.

You can and we do!

any words of wisdom?

Kill every lionfish you see!

You're welcome!

Welcome to Boca Raton, there are lots of dive spots all around the city. Yes, it is easy to dive year round here.

You might look into a local Meet up group based close by in Lauderdale By-The-Sea just to the south. They have dives crossing all skill levels scheduled pretty much everyday weather willing, sometimes more than one per day too. They have boat dives but a good deal of beach dives. The later should really develop your diving skills. They also run regular courses out of the sponsoring shop. More at: Gold Coast Scuba Divers (954) 616-5909 (Fort Lauderdale, FL) - Meetup We will have windy days with greater frequency as fall/winter wear on, still there will be calm periods and times of offshore winds which are almost as good.

any words of wisdom?
thanks!
R

Yeah, yeah, yeah,

What they said above..blah blah blah..
Welcome to Florida.
Whatever.

Now for the serious stuff...

Do you have a boat?
Are you of low moral character?
Do you have beer?

Three positive answers to the above questions would mean you will make many friends here!
No positive answers to the above questions would mean you will make many friends here!

OK in all seriousness.

You found the mother-load of beach diving in warm water in the continental US if you are so inclined.
There are also a ton of boats doing just about anything you want to do in the sea while diving here.

Chug
Welcome wagon official...but usually told to just go home.

Welcome to year round diving, and you living in Boca, it's a short drive to the best beach diving around! Who are you certified with? ARe you interested in continuing your diving education with that agency? I know of a few very good instructors if you would like a recommendation.

THANKS!!!

I'm PADI certified - AOW and would probably stay with same agency, but haven't given it much thought I suppose.

[/I]
Kevin Metz of Underwater Explorers will get your buoyancy dialed in and you'll have a great time diving with him, one of the best instructors around: Underwater Explorers - SCUBA Diving Boynton Beach, Delray, Palm Beach, Reefs and Wrecks

As an added bonus his operation is pretty close to Boca.

You can and we do!

Kill every lionfish you see!

You're welcome!

I had the opportunity to see a few lionfish meet their maker this summer. Not sure I'm there yet on the skill level (to kill on my own), but we all need goals.....

Boca Raton or Boca Grande?

Rat's Mouth :)

Yeah, yeah, yeah,

What they said above..blah blah blah..
Welcome to Florida.
Whatever.

Now for the serious stuff...

Do you have a boat?
Are you of low moral character?
Do you have beer?

Three positive answers to the above questions would mean you will make many friends here!
No positive answers to the above questions would mean you will make many friends here!

OK in all seriousness.

You found the mother-load of beach diving in warm water in the continental US if you are so inclined.
There are also a ton of boats doing just about anything you want to do in the sea while diving here.

Chug
Welcome wagon official...but usually told to just go home.

I don't HAVE a boat...but I like boats.....
I wouldn't call it "low moral character" per say...more like the level of character is relative.....
And yes, I like beer...and rum, and whiskey, and margaritas, and champagne....
I'm an equal opportunity consumer of adult beverages. No drink left behind is my motto.

Thanks everyone for the friendly welcome! I had company this weekend (odd how moving to Florida has increased my visitors!

Maybe I'll be able to get out there next weekend!

Appreciate all the kind words,

R

I don't HAVE a boat...but I like boats.....
I wouldn't call it "low moral character" per say...more like the level of character is relative.....
And yes, I like beer...and rum, and whiskey, and margaritas, and champagne....
I'm an equal opportunity consumer of adult beverages. No drink left behind is my motto.
You'll fit right in. :giggle:

I was thinking the same thing. He likes rum. :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom