Just like Jaws

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DavidPT40

Contributor
Reaction score
Along with scuba diving, I really enjoy fishing. I practice catch and release of course. Well, since I'm in the Los Angeles area temporarily, I went out on a sport fishing boat at Redondo Beach. I was talking with one of the mates, and he said the area was a nursery for great white sharks. Not ten minutes after he said that, someone yelled "Shark!". There was a juvenile great white on the surface, with both its dorsal and caudal fins showing. The captain of the boat drove over towards him, and just like in the movie Jaws, the shark swam across the bow of the boat. It then reversed course and came straight back towards us. One of the mates threw out a line with a mackeral on it. The water was clear enough, and the shark close enough, for me to see its enormous mouth open up and engulf the fish. The shark was only hooked for about two seconds before it snapped the line.

Besides being incredibly impressed by actually seeing a great white in the wild, I did have a few concerns. How much of an impact does a hook in the mouth (or the gut) of a shark have on its survivability? Was it legal for the boat to chase down and purposely hook the great white? I know the mates on the boat were letting the anglers keep undersized and out of season fish. One mate even said "I have to tell you that you can't keep this fish by law" then he proceeded to fillet the fish for the guy!

My main goal is just to practice sustainable recreational fishing, and support businesses that do.

A call to Fish & Game would stop that practice. I too love to fish, but always within the limits of the law, regardless of the crew's additude.

I agree with TeamCasa. Hunting is one thing, breaking the law is another.

I can't speak with knowledge about a hook in one's mouth or gut, but ouch! Can't be comfy.

That is awesome you got to see a white shark, I would love to myself.

But It also brings great concern to me that they would throw anything with any type of hook to one!!
I hope they did not injure that shark, And it makes me wonder if they might not do again and with a bigger and more damaging hook next time??:shakehead:

depends on the material. If it's a regular hook, it will rust in no time. it's better to leave the hook in the mouth than ripping it's guts to take it out (at least for trouts, for a GWS, it's also safer for the fisherman :D)

However, if it's stainless steel or other non rusting material, the answer is not as simple. I never fish with stainless hooks for that matter. (and I dont fish sharks either)

Based on my understanding, targeting and hooking a GWS should be against the law. What the mate said about the undersized fish he fileted would make me want to report these guys to CDF&G immediately fast. What was the name of the boat?

Thanks. Don't have any personal knowledge of that boat. Almost unbelievable, but then some fishers still shoot sea lions.

Just a thought ...if you folks were bottom fishing ..which I suspect since this time of yr the palegics are gone ...then returning the bottom fish, vermillion, sculpin , ling etc ..would probably die from the sudden decompression of the trip to the surface ... exactly why I don't like targeting bottom fish ...can't see what you caught till you have essentially killed them. And for what... bottom fish make great tacos ..big deal its cheaper and easier to go to Rubios ...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom