Just how important is Navigation to the Recreational Diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I became interested in underwater nav during scores of beach dives in Ft. Lauderdale. As on land, gps is not a replacement for basic skills but is a great tool. I've been using gps while diving for about 10 years (as seen in Underwater Magazine)...check out the youtube video by searching, "underwater gps". Of course, you have to be a very, very avid diver to consider this...or perhaps a L enforcement of public safety diver. (no data cable / external antenna)

I agree, knowing where you are and how to get back is very comforting and makes diving much more pleasant.

Fortunately I was blessed with the ability to navigate, no matter the circumstances. That coupled with sailing and doing a significant amount of orienteering taught me good compass skills. So, in short, navigation is no issue for me. However, I find that a large number of divers, even very good divers, have no clue, even in some that teach it. Hence my question.
Your question is excellent, as it is thought provoking.

I have an very good sense of direction on land. When we started diving, there was little or no carry-over. Either that, or I was simply inattentive because I was a novice and/or overwhelmed by what I was seeing and doing. My wife and I went to the Keys several times soon after certification. There, the typical dive is from a boat and without DM accompaniment. The captain simply says, "The pool's open; be back in an hour or 500 lbs." That enforces development of navigation strategies and independence. The Keys are great for that because most of the dives are shallow, allowing safe mid-dive ascents, if desired. After 200+ dives, I think my sense of above-water direction is finally working underwater as well. I use a compass sometimes, but usually only in low vis conditions.

It all depends on how the rec diver is planning on doing the dive. If the rec diver is cognizant of the fact that he or she isn't all that great of a navigator and tend to stay close to the boat, then it doesn't matter. If the diver is the type that likes to explore and cover lots of ground then that diver better learn navigation rather quickly.

....Either way, an affordable UW GPS would help many of those divers that have trouble navigating. It may also help dive charters keep track of their charges, scientists and wreck hunters.

Hi Dave,

To your original question: Navigation is a critical skill that is not well-taught (or well-learned) by many divers.

Even in the usually clear conditions here in Hawaii, I'm "navigating" (usually 80% natural, 20% compass) on each dive. I'm an ex- merchant marine navigator, and to my great shame must admit I'm better on the surface of the ocean than beneath it (I get easily distracted by the pretty fishies and occasional mermaid, so sometimes miss a landmark).

Overall I do just fine (when I pay attention!).

Now, if a reliable, affordable, accurate underwater GPS came on the market.... I might consider it.

It would be great tool for being able to return to the exact same coral head, cleaning station, swim-through or cave you "discovered" 6 months ago, but got a little "hazy" on exactly where you'd found it....

So yeah, if GPS was available that met the above criteria, you might see me wearing one, next to my compass.

Best wishes.

The navigation issue to me totally depends on where/how you dive. Many divers on the Board dive "home grounds", or at least areas where they have a clue of the UW topography. For us, every dive site is 12,000 miles from home and we've never seen it before. The dive guide may say at the briefing, "If the current is going this way, we drop in here ... or if it's going this way, then we drop in here." Then everyone splashes without the guide checking the current. Or they say, "Keep the reef on your left (or right) side." Then you drop in, and the current changes six times in your 60-70 minutes, with up or down being as common as left or right. This is fine during the day, when two groups off the same boat can surface 400 yards apart, depending on the current. When it's a muck dive at night, and you're not in inshore waters, it can be an adventure, and you may or may not be anywhere near your guide when you surface.

After 200+ dives, I think my sense of above-water direction is finally working underwater as well.
Ahh, maybe there's hope for me after all! Only 100+ dives to go!!

hi there ,navigation for recreational divers is like going to the supermarket...the more you go the more you can find your way around.
gps is great for locating specific areas but i get sick of all the gadgetry.
a colleague of mine had studied cellestial navigation and has undertaken man trips using this skill he has used over the past 30 years...now i know this seems like it has nothing to do with diving...but it is all natural navigation.
he emphasized to me that the human body is the greatest compass.......look ito this art and you 'll why...its not just looking at the stars.
anyway i think its better to learn without .....the best compass and gps can get you into a hell of a lot of trouble if you depend on it too much! don't get ,certain conditions and situations would indeed require additional help
oh well

Back
Top Bottom