Just how important is Navigation to the Recreational Diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well good luck trying to surface 30m from a boat where I dive if slack is over...

People commenting should really keep in mind that diving conditions around the world vary wildly and what holds in one place won't work elsewhere.

You're making a rather sweeping generalization there.

I think it all depends on whether or not the boat in question is the one they dove from.

You ever done a 15 min deco with a lift bag in 20 knot winds? There are exceptions to every situation so don't be so quick to generalize.

Saspotato; plan the dive so that the tide comes into play.Thats what I used to do when diving in such a area.Locally we have an inlet in the Shinnecock (Long Island NY) that these abilities come into play.
Idocsteve; very funny.I have seen boats come back with more people on it than when they went out with :)
Walke: There is absolutely an exception to every rule.The idea here in the northeast in the ocean of the south shore of LI or offshore NJ on wreck dives is usually to make ascents on the anchor line and do any required deco there.If we have to do deco on a lift bag its usually because of either poor navigation skills or oops didn't watch spg and started to run low on gas.

Here locally we have anywhere from 2' of vis to 15'..In LI Sound 5' vis is considered a great day.During training dives I have students do the tour with me after skills are completed and at the end of a 20 minute tour we are usually back at the anchor line or within 20' of the boat.That is with 5' or less of visibility using compass and natural landmarks to navigate.

I'm working a a presentation right now dealing with this very subject. I'm about 3 pages into it and it is titled "UW Navigation and It's Importance to the NEW and Not So New Diver".
Is the presentation something that will be online when you are done? :)

Navigation is something that comes so easy for me on land. I never get lost. Underwater, not so much. I just can't get the hang of a compass. I've taken classes and it has gotten better but I still feel so uncomfortable when I am leading a dive. It isn't a huge deal at the quarry because there are lines to most "attractions" and worse case scenario you surface to see where you are but it still bothers me that I just can't get it. I've been on a few dives on vacation where I was following (DM, instructor) and the thought always crosses my mind - if something were to happen I have no idea where we are in relation to the boat. That is scary. I hate the feeling. Everyone keeps telling me to just practice and I'll get it someday....

I really do believe that navigation is very important and everyone should know it. There are some places that don't require it and some places where it is critical. I guess it depends on where you are diving.

Underwater GPS, a great addition when you are trying to replace your cash with gadgets.

In scuba, you are not using long distances. An underwater GPS seems rather useless if you'll just learn some basics with a compass.

This is a point I haven't thought of yet. Most gps receivers only pinpoint to around 50-100 feet. Exactly how helpful is this going to be in 10' vis.... If you can only be pinpointed to 100 feet how can you tell where you are if you can only see 10'?

Walke: There is absolutely an exception to every rule.The idea here in the northeast in the ocean of the south shore of LI or offshore NJ on wreck dives is usually to make ascents on the anchor line and do any required deco there.If we have to do deco on a lift bag its usually because of either poor navigation skills or oops didn't watch spg and started to run low on gas.

Mine was because of very bad current. Couldn't get back to the line. No excuse but sometimes thats what happens out there. When I started the dive it wasn't too bad but by the end it was kicking. I agree its preferred to do all deco on the anchor line. That was a 1 time situation that I don't want to do again but its nice to know I have the ability.

Since DEMA there has been more chatter about UW Navigation systems like GPS for recreational divers but really, how important is it?

It depends...

1. Are you an underwater archeologist, or have another requirement that a GPS would assist you with?

2. Some divers purchase equipment because they like gadgets, or think it will make them look cool.

3. Do you have more money than brains?

Like I said, it depends. :)

This is a point I haven't thought of yet. Most gps receivers only pinpoint to around 50-100 feet. Exactly how helpful is this going to be in 10' vis.... If you can only be pinpointed to 100 feet how can you tell where you are if you can only see 10'?

I'd say only some of the inexpensive GPS's are accurate in your range. Most of the quality one can get within 15'. Some, used for surveying and military can get within inches.

Either way, an affordable UW GPS would help many of those divers that have trouble navigating. It may also help dive charters keep track of their charges, scientists and wreck hunters.

True or False? LATITUDE is where you're lost. LONGITUDE is how long you've been lost there.

For all of you diehard believers on this I have a 10000 sq.ft. Malibu beach house for sale for $50k.... I'll even throw in my Contender and its worth 2x that.

For all of you diehard believers on this I have a 10000 sq.ft. Malibu beach house for sale for $50k.... I'll even throw in my Contender and its worth 2x that.

Call me in a week when it's worth half that.

The idea here in the northeast in the ocean of the south shore of LI or offshore NJ on wreck dives is usually to make ascents on the anchor line and do any required deco there.If we have to do deco on a lift bag its usually because of either poor navigation skills or oops didn't watch spg and started to run low on gas.

Or because we put down our wreck reel on the sand rather than clipping it to oneself to have two hands free to work a lobster out of it's hole.

Or because a weight pouch falls out of the BC causing an immediate unexpected acent and causes a diver to get entangled in their reel line that they let get too slack because they were busy looking for lobster while working their way back to the tie off point.

Or because the diver is so engrossed in exploring the far reaches of a wreck and are possibly slightly narced, they underestimate the time and amount of air it will take to retrace their route back to the anchor line.

I shamefully admit to personal experience on this one. Although I made a successful return to and up the anchor line on each occasion, it was close a few times...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom