Just had our first child, time to sell my gear?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

better to beg forgiveness than ask permission.

she probably won't divorce you.

I too took an 8 year surface interval with the birth of our daughter. It also Included dry docking the boat. Been back at it for 10+ years. I didn't sell my gear or my boat.

In my time away, DACOR equipment became obsolete, My ScubaPro stuff is old but working, my Cochran PDC bricked, and my wetsuit shrunk (that is what I tell myself). Other stuff was good to go.

I doubt I would have started up again if I had to get all new (or new to me) equipment (plus wife's gear). Truth be told, I have amassed a large amount of stuff since returning....

Tough decision on what to do....

I had to get all new (or new to me) equipment (plus wife's gear)

You got new wife too?

Hindsight being 20/20 I might have considered it.... :wink:

Let me tell you as a highly experienced person in this matter, a three timer, it is VERY expensive but VERY liberating :)

The issue of 'my spouse won't let me' sounds controlling and presumptuous, but as another poster suggested, this phase will likely pass over time. This is a highly stressful time, and if you watch what new mothers often go through with infant care, it can be frightening to behold.

Once the kiddo is several months old or more, the idea of enrichment through travel starts to look appealing. Undemanding diving in 'easy' conditions may be easier to persuade about.

I suggest planning trips where diving is part of the activity, but not all of it, and where good medical care is available if the kid gets impetigo or an ear infection, bronchitis, etc... That's why I picked Key Largo when our daughter was very young (fairly quick drive to mainland Florida and U.S. hospitals, if needed) and cruise ships (Royal Caribbean; each had an infirmary, and we have needed to use them more than once).

So I suggest do not sell your stuff. Wait it out a few months while she gets her bearings.

Richard.

Back
Top Bottom