Just got O/W cert, what BC should I get?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I started with a Brigade (Ranger harness w/smaller 35lb wing), and then bought a Zeagle backplate with a 44lb Ranger wing.
Swapped wings, so now I have a full Ranger setup, and the backplate for warm water and travelling.

As good as the Ranger is, their backplate is way more comfortable to wear, and packs nicer for travelling.

People say it's common to swap your gear out as you go along.
I say do it right the first time and get a bp/w, and you won't want/need to swap your gear out later.

I started with a Brigade (Ranger harness w/smaller 35lb wing), and then bought a Zeagle backplate with a 44lb Ranger wing.
Swapped wings, so now I have a full Ranger setup, and the backplate for warm water and travelling.

As good as the Ranger is, their backplate is way more comfortable to wear, and packs nicer for travelling.

People say it's common to swap your gear out as you go along.
I say do it right the first time and get a bp/w, and you won't want/need to swap your gear out later.

I did something similar... I started out with the Brigade, and just recently purchased the Zeagle backplate and harness kit.

This is a great time to buy Zeagle, too, as Zeagle is celebrating it's 30th anniversary by giving 30% discounts through it's dealers.

Leisurepro has a coupon code you can enter, and ScubaToys gives the discount if you mention it when you order.

USED is the correct answer.

It really doesn't matter with regards to the brand as much! Even tough there are some more famous than other, some more international than others.

I will try and answer each component of your Q! I know where you are coming from - I was a new diver 3 years ago and everything was an ordeal. which deal to buy, which BCD, Which Fin, Which Mask bla blah blah.

"I just completed my open-water PADI dive cert and was looking at buying some equipment now"

Used - My first Kit was for around $300 - $400 - Yes, the whole kit BCD, fins, mask, regs, the BCD did not even have clips around the waist only a Velcro waist. My second kit included (kinda techie kit) BP/W, classic jetfins, 7ft hose reg setup and cost more than $1000 - but I only got nearly after two years of diving.

You just completed you OW cert - you have no idea where your underwater journey is going to take you. Used kit (serviced ofcourse) will be a great first kit.

"From browsing a little and reading some it looks like Zeagle is a good brand to go with but I'm a little curious about what type I should get:

They are all good brands to be honest - your bcd needs to have clips on the shoulder, chest and waist (helps getting you out of it in a rescue situation) - your BCD should have pockets - if you can get a BCD with weight pockets on the back that would be helpfull for your trim in the future. I ended up strapping 2pound weight on my tank to get proper trim with my O BCD.

"I've been considering buyine one used from the forum to save some money on it and was looking at the Zeagle Ranger or the Zeagle Scout or possible a BP/W".

BP/W areawesome - I love mine (FROG) but since you are OW I would hold out on it for a while - unless you go the TDI techie way but that will take a while - I would highly recommend the classic BCD format as it will make your future trainings easier for the time being.

"I'm not sure all of the basic components I would need for a BP/W but thought that may be a good idea to start with so that way later I can upgrade my BC more easil"

Just go online to Scubatoys or divegearexpress as they sell entire setup - but basically Back plate (Steel or Aluminium – depends on your buoyancy and weight needed. 2inch webbing, 6 ,D-rings, belt clip, a pocket to attach the strap.

"What would be the minimum I would need for a BP/W to get me going?"

That’s funny – cause BP/W is minimalistic setup – you need all the components of it. Sold at website I mentioned earlier.

" I'm diving in Hawaii so water is warm and my height is 6'2" at about 190 pounds and I wear a full length wetsuit or I could also go with a shorty wetsuit. About how much lift will I need?"

Lift is not a problem – you will float with regular Al tanks and any regular BCD or BP/W. Even if you start diving with steel tanks a regular lift would do – unless you are taking half of your tool set from the garage to dismantle a wreck. The only other thing is you would need a twin wing for twin set – but I bet you that will not happen for another couple of years.

"Would the scout provide sufficient lift or would I outgrow it quickly?"

Only reason you would out grow it if you start diving twin sets steel, with stage(s) and taking heavy tools to dismantle a wreck

" I don't want to buy one only to need to get another one later".

You will but another one later – and another and one for vacation and one for cave diving and one for teaching and you may even end up buying one for the times you don’t feel like diving and you may refer it to as your Dry BCD. That’s a joke – a stupid joke – but still a joke. I personally have the old BCD I bought, another one that would be useful for instructing (with clips and stuff) a BP/W with a single tank bladder and also have twin bladder in the closet.

Yes, welcome to the diving world where two of everything is required – but you don’t have to buy everything today – I have built my kit over three years.

" Thanks for any help"
Your welcome

For those that are reading this old post-
Brands do matter Zeagle BP/W are perfectly designed and easy to washout!
oneday they will be the only BC! lol
forget about BCD's go BP/W! with the 30lb donut and a 2" crotch strap(fix your reel and smb to the plate end of your crotch strap with a 2nd d-ring on the strap, near ure tailbone)
- get ahead of the game and don't be a nub all your life! BCD'S are for nubs!
30lb Donut Bladder - Optional Bladders - BCs - Zeagle Dive Systems
Standard Backplate Harness - Backplate BCs - BCs - Zeagle Dive Systems
Metal Backplates - Backplate BCs - BCs - Zeagle Dive Systems

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom