Just got my Halcyon canister light.....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Big O

Reaction score
Whats the best way to mount it? I haven't tried it yet, but Im not sure how well it will work on the belt with the belt loop that came mounted on it. I dive with the halcyon acb weight system.

Im thinking about mounting it to my plate also. Whats the proper way to mount it? switch up? switch down?

Thanks all,

Dave

I would only mount it on the waist strap. If it interferes with the ABC system call the boys at Halcyon or EE. They should be able to help you.

Dave D

Just mount it on your waist strap. I would also attach a cheap buckle after it so when you unhook your waist strap, the canister doesn't fall off.

If you attach it to your BP, then it becomes non-ditchable weight. I know I wouldn't want to drop a $1000 torch at the bottom of the ocean, but I would rather drop that then cost me my life. Hope that helps.

Thomas

I thought the ACB had a strap on the outside just for this purpose?

Roak

roakey once bubbled...
I thought the ACB had a strap on the outside just for this purpose?

Roak

It does. The ACB+ doesn't. Really though, having the can mounted on the weight pouch makes the whole thing feel kinda unstable. A much better solution is a V-Weight. Regardless of how you mount your weight, the can goes on the waist strap.

Tom

Just out of curiosity what style light did you get.I opted for a stealth light with the new style 10w halcyon head.I dont use any of the acb style weighting systems but if i did im almost positive it would fit between the tail of the right rear side weight pocket and the backplate.Then you could just zip tie the tail of the pocket to the backplate.Cut the zip tie to remove the cannister light from the tail of the pocket where it would normally bolt to the backplate. Anyways i heard this from someone else on the board so it might work for you depending on your light cannister.I prefer my mesh weightbelt from heath.

Big O,

I down graded on the size of my canister from a Pro 14 to a Pro 6 because I was moving to south Florida and wanted to use it with a single tank set up.

I mounted the canister on the waist strap on the right side held in place with a buckle. (light switch up)

For weight I use a neoprene belt and soft weights. I 've used the same set up for dry suit single tank with an SS plate and 12 lbs on the belt and an AL plate with 2lbs when diving with a thin wetsuit.

What kind of light did you get?

I can't wait to get a Helios 18Watt.

I didn't really look at the ACB system. The ones I have seen in use look more bulky than using a standard belt.

Big O,

Did you get the ACB with the weightbelt buckle, or the ACB+ without? I've found a way to mount canister lights on the ACB+ using a bungee loop that works *very* well (beats my old method of ziptie-ing the webbing tail to the backplate each time). Let me know and I'll post a pic and description if you need.

Ben

My new light is the 4.5 amp Helios with the 10 watt hid light. I did a burn test on it tonight, and got right at 4 hours on it.

I was unaware of the stealth light, that looks pretty cool.

Do I really need to mount this as ditchable weight? I have seen quite a few divers around here mounting the small canister lights vertically along side of the plate. I think I would like it mounted better that way.

Roakey, you and Wreck writer are correct, the acb pockets do have the strap and extra buckle to mount it on the pockets.

Later,

Dave

The weight of the Helios is such that mouting it on your right hand ACB buckle/strap is really the way to go.

Don't mount it on the plate. You just create an entanglement hazard that you cannot clear by yourself. With it mounted on your ACB or directly onto your webbing, you have the ability to clear it easily.

Off topic:

I had the ACB weights (actually, I still own them) and did not like them. If I need additional weight, I go with a weight belt or weight pouch.

BTW, you've got a great light!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom