Just got back from Roatan!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scubasarah81

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Spent 7 fantastic days in Roatan. We stayed at Fantasy Island and I just cannot say enough good things about the resort. The diving was amazing, I got in 21 dives in 5 days. We were on the boat Little Andreu with Derry (dive master) and Dimas (captain), both guys were great, we could not have had a better crew. It is the rainy season this time of year so I was told the vis is usually better but even so all our dives were petty clear and you cannot beat 82 degree water temps. There is agreat drop off/shore dive site just a few feet from the resort. It's a great ship called the Prince Albert. There supposedly a huge moray eel that resides under it, though we never saw it. However, we did spot a massive Hogfish under the stern.

Some of my favorite sites were Mary's Place, Valley of the King, and Calvin's Crack.
Mary's Place had some fun swim throughs and the reef is just thriving with life. I believe it was there that we saw 2 seahorse.

The resort itself was Great too. It's not tempurpedic beds and fine china, but it's comfortable with delicious food and cold beer. My room was recently remoldeled and
had a AC that was more than adequate. The resort manager, Carlos, is very
accomodating and was always checking up on the guests. All of the staff that I interacted with were very kind.

I fell head over heels in love with Roatan. The diving, the people, the sunrises, the topography, all deserve 2 big thumbs up in my book. So get your gear, buy your ticket, and just go. And trust me, request Derry and Dimas, if those guys can't make you smile, no one can.

It's a great ship called the Prince Albert. There supposedly a huge moray eel that resides under it, though we never saw it.

He was in his usual spot last week- on the deck, left side, amidships... sunning himself under that valve wheel.

So big he's hard to see sometimes.

Glad you enjoyed the place!

I am looking out the window at work, into temperatures just above freezing, and wishing I was back on Roatan, hanging out with the moray at the Prince Albert. Sigh!

Wrongcrowd Gallery :: Coco View May 2009

Thanks for the report. You might have made up my mind about FIBR. I have stayed at CoCo View but thought we would give FIBR a try. Thanks again!

My wife and I will be there in 2 weeks also. See you then!

Read 'em and weep suckers. I'll be there in less than 24 hours. Should have a dive or 2 in by then. I'll let you know if the Prince Albert is still down there.

Glad you discovered Roatan!
My favorite dive site was Valley of the Kings, too. Every turn had something spectacular and the colors there were so vibrant. Really, really gorgeous reef structure and examples of every type of sponge you find in the Caribbean, all on one reef. Just gorgeous! Mary's Place and Calvin's were both awesome swimthru sites, very cool too but I think I like Chimney's just as much in that regard. And the Prince Albert always had something new every dive. We saw the green moray during the day but also the really gorgeous little blue viper moray at night. Ahh, Roatan....

robin

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom